DSM 6.2 Internal Site Requiring HSTS

Currently reading
DSM 6.2 Internal Site Requiring HSTS

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
  1. macOS
How do I turn off HSTS for an internal only site served through Web Station?

I've been trying to set up a test website just for my own experimentation on my local network (not available outside my home) and I'm struggling with HSTS errors. I've searched and tried every suggestion I could find and yet I'm still getting these errors when trying to visit the site.

In Web Station > Virtual Hosts, if I use a Port-Based host I'm able to access the site just fine. However if I use Name-Based to specify an example domain (example: 'example.dev') I'm unable to access the site due to HSTS errors. I do not have the `HSTS` option checked in Virtual Hosts (screenshot for proof).

On my local machine, I've added example.dev to my hosts file and pointed it at the NAS' IP address. I've also imported the Synology SSL Cert and ensured it is trusted for example.dev. Based on suggestions I've seen, I SSH'd to the unit, gotten root access and editted the nginx config files to try and remove the HSTS requirements. I've also ensured that I restarted in between making changes to the config and trying again.

So, what gives? Is there some secret setting or hidden config file somewhere that I'm missing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.