iOS & Drive long load times....

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
iOS & Drive long load times....

Environment: iOS 14.4.1 w//Synology 220+ and Synology Drive app v.2.3.1-371

Issue:
Long delays when ever accessing Drives app...waiting for directories to load even if on same network

Use case:
• Select photo/s from iOS camera roll, tap share > tap Drive app icon > * preparing ...wait..delays... > Select Destination eventually shows.
• Same thing happens if you try to to save via Files app > tap Drive app icon > "long wait for load.
• Delays regardless if on same network or outside network.

Troubleshooting:
• Delays appear to only happen for Synology app. FileBrowser, Total, FE File Explorer are quick to access and save the same location.
• Ensured all software is latest.
• Network

---
While I am here asking, any way to get rid of that highest level that shows Teams Folders and Shared with me.... so it only shows what is INSIDE the Teams Folders?
Trying to minimize taps and delays for frequent routing task of moving photos from camera roll to synology. much of this could be automated in theory, step are identical every time.

While I am here asking, any way to get rid of that highest level that shows Teams Folders and Shared with me.... so it only shows what is INSIDE the Teams Folders?
No

Issue:
Long delays when ever accessing Drives app...waiting for directories to load even if on same network
How are you accessing your Drive? Local IP address, or FQDN? Any difference there? Comparing Drive to other local apps that do not use potential remote access is not really "fair".

For me its instant, and I have Drive configured to use FQDN for its URL.

Not really.

Within iOS Drive you can favourite and tag folders. These will be available from the menu panel (left-edge, swipe in).

Within IOS Files you can favourite a Drive folder. This will be listed below apps in Files’ Browse page.

As for iOS Drive being slow: I access using FQDN using a personal domain and there’s no slowness using it.

Last edited:
No

How are you accessing your Drive? Local IP address, or FQDN? Any difference there? Comparing Drive to other local apps that do not use potential remote access is not really "fair".

New to all of this ... when I open Drive app settings I am setting the QuickConnect name.
(long term looking to not use quick connect.) Terms of the other apps, FE (file explorer) is connected through a DDNS relay (presuming that maps to the fully qualified domain name?)...same for FileBrowser.

OK - this gives me another avenue to explore...thank you.
(irony when quick connect (which saves all the bs of port forwarding) actually slows down things because it all routes through synology? is that what is happening here, where selecting photos to save to synology w/quick connect actually routes 'all traffic' through synology servers to reach the Synology Drive? That is what it appears...as the larger the payload the slower it takes 'to prepare' before being able to save out. Here I thought quick connect facilitated the ip management but had nothing to do w/the data itself.)

---
Drive App - favorites
Yes, this might shorten a list of options from a sea of directories to a few, maybe save a few taps and yet appears to not be 'more convenient' as it still requires quite a few taps to access.
So have a few directories starred. Those starred locations do not appear to surface in any way through iOS Files, or iOS Share Sheet

For reference, my workflow primarily consists of selecting a number of photos, copying to a specific spot on the network, going back and deleting those photos. Really redundant, and finding myself always in this flow of saving out images, and kills me that while this is so manual and ripe for automation there is still no real way to automate w/shortcuts, clips etc. So yes, if it seems like I am getting picky about an extra tap or two (in most cases 6-10 needless taps) it is because this is a workflow used so often where every tap saved saves a lot of time.

---
iOS Files App - favorites
Ok, added a few favorites (a feature I was not that aware existed.) So when the user saves a favorite, the intention is for priority and easy access and yet the favorites are positioned below Locations. Presume there is no way to actually change this...reorder does not work across categories, and no way to move Favorites category above Locations category. Why do apps do that (Files isn't the only one) where Favorites takes a back seat to everything else....sort of minimizes the value of a favorite.
(kind of funny that after selecting a favorite, hitting the back button now navigates you back through the full file tree instead of taking you back to your original location which was the Files app Home Screen.)
(actually this a quite a pain...even a force quit of Files app does not restore the Files app Home Screen and still requires navigating back through the full original tree....k...this one is painful....)

-- post merged: --

----
UPDATE

Drive App - This might sound silly here.. unable to actually use the non-quick-connect methods to access synology. Using the same URL that is working in the other apps...identical. Even switching the various settings/ports for http/https, ports 5006, 5005, all version w/and w/o https toggle (that is an odd toggle as this is meant to be part of the ur right? - nothing. (about to turn off quick connect to see if that matters - no change)

Once or twice it appeared I got through asking to trust the location, yet then returns w/standard error "Login Can't connect to the server. Please check - The IP address is correct - Network connections We recommend using QuickConnect for easier connection to your server."

Presume there is no way to actually change this..
Apple knows best! You should appreciate that you are wrong and that Favourites are better when listed below Locations ;)

In iOS Files tapping the Browse button on the bottom bar should jump back to the iOS home page.

Apple knows best! You should appreciate that you are wrong and that Favourites are better when listed below Locations ;)

In iOS Files tapping the Browse button on the bottom bar should jump back to the iOS home page.
ah.. thanks for that tip on the browse button..makes that more palatable.

As for iOS Drive being slow: I access using FQDN using a personal domain and there’s no slowness using it.
FQDN working fine from WebDav apps like FileBrowser, File Explorer, Total, however can not use those same settings (or any settings) to get Synology Drive app connected via FQDN.
Note: QuickConnect disabled. Synology Drive app ip 6690 added to router config.

Anyone able to share where I might be going wrong, or share you you have your working setup is configured?

Address of QuickConnectID
Affordable Web Hosting Services with cPanel - Hostname.com, http://hostname.com:5005/, http://hostname.com:6690, http://hostname.com/other ips/
(same for IP address)

Affordable Web Hosting Services with cPanel - Hostname.com, http://hostname.com:5005/, http://hostname.com:6690, http://hostname.com/other ips/
(same for IP address)

Username
• admin user name
• test user name
• test 2 user name

Password
• admin pw
• test pw
• test 2 pw

HTTPS Toggle
This can be confusing in terms of expectations around how url works...do you enable the https toggle and still use https (?) etc. Anyway, all options have been tried with the toggle on and toggle off. Not change.

-pr

Note: QuickConnect disabled. Synology Drive app ip 6690 added to router config.
TCP 6690 is for the Synology Drive desktop client to server sync. The Synology Drive mobile apps use web services so use the DSM HTTPS port and TCP 443 if Application Portal is configured.

Last edited:
SO close....got that same trusted connection method and then the same error mentioned above...and doubt that trusted screen is actually that much closer.

Quick side question to help trim down the trouble shooting.
Goal is for https. Would settings have BOTH https in the url AND the HTTPS toggle turned on, or does on of the two options compensate for the other?

UPDATE!!!

@fredbert

THANK YOU....that information took me to applications and while the app was loaded it was not assigned ports...so now working w/the ports I got this working!! Now I can test out how this solution works compares...thank you once again...

Last edited:
Ok. Finally got Drive connected and working via FQDN. (Yea for small victories! 😉)
  • Drive app itself does indeed come straight up...no delay. The use cases are more around the share opportunities.
    Is it possible to initiate the workflow (moving photos from camera roll to synology via from Drive app ) yes... however double the work because once done one would need then switch over to photos to delete those photos....easier to do everything from the Photos app.

• Selecting say two photos from camera roll > selecting share > selecting drive > now shows a Loading screen w/delay (this used to be Preparing when connected through QuickConnect.) Delay might be a little faster yet marginal at best...still quite a delay.

• Selecting two photos from camera roll > selecting share > selecting Drive - delay for this to load each time.
    Even w/this delay it is faster than selecting Drive from the iOS share sheet.
For reference, the delays expressed above are not experienced through WebDav apps using the same FQDN.

Within iOS Drive you can favourite and tag folders. These will be available from the menu panel (left-edge, swipe in).

Within IOS Files you can favourite a Drive folder. This will be listed below apps in Files’ Browse page.

iOS Drive, favoriting folders (yes) shows up under Starred in left off screen menu.
Favorites do not appear to be available when saving from another app. You can select photos from iOS camera roll, then select Drive however then you apparently need to still navigate to its final destination..no way to access shortcuts. While you can initiate the workflow from Drive instead of iOS Camera Roll, that method would require double the time needing to then switch over from drive to camera roll to reselect and then delete the same photos.​
iOS Files you can favorite a Drive folder (yes)
Same issue, where that favorite appears while inside Files but does NOT appear to be available from within apps. Same example as above, selecting a few photos from iOS Camera Roll > selecting share > selecting iOS Files app and no shortcuts...still need to select the app (Drive) then the wasted screen to select Teams folder > then navigate to designation from there.
Presume there is something I am missing here. For shortcuts to work, they need to be accessible from the share sheet of Camera Roll and other Apple/3rd Party apps.

TBH I was suggesting options that may help but I rarely any of these things to such an extent that being non-optimally smooth isn't a problem for me, that there's a way to do it is enough. I don't have any delay opening and accessing Synology Drive app via iOS Files, it's a momentary hesitation of a tenth of a second (untime but seems around that).

Using FileBrowser Pro's sync feature's Backup Tasks can be setup as a background activity to backup the iOS camera roll to a location on the NAS. I have created '/home/Drive/Backup/iPhone Camera Roll' as a target for the backup.

TBH I was suggesting options that may help but I rarely any of these things to such an extent that being non-optimally smooth isn't a problem for me, that there's a way to do it is enough. I don't have any delay opening and accessing Synology Drive app via iOS Files, it's a momentary hesitation of a tenth of a second (untime but seems around that).

Using FileBrowser Pro's sync feature's Backup Tasks can be setup as a background activity to backup the iOS camera roll to a location on the NAS. I have created '/home/Drive/Backup/iPhone Camera Roll' as a target for the backup.
Options were great and showed me a few other avenues to explore...thank you.
The workflow for saving photos are selecting a few photos and the saving them to different places (where a sync would backup the entire photo album itself.). Example - number of photos for a home renovation project and they get moved to directory A on synology. Some new family photos get moved to a family directory on synology and so on.

Yes, the process in so repeatable that, in theory, one would think a few scripts/shortcuts would handle it however not much integration between synology and shortcuts. Select home improvement photos and tap shortcut A, select family photos and select shortcut B.

Yes, this routine is so frequent that I am always trying to cut out taps. The Drive app could be a great solution but it adds an entire new and wasted screen to navigate (Share with me and Teams Folder) so yes, this is extra painful to have to now add in the step of always selecting Teams before getting to the actual target location. The fact that I can create short cuts in iOS Files and 3rd party apps BUT shortcuts mean nothing because you can use them from share sheets kills me.

Update: Load times are now faster by NOT using the QuickConnect services. QuickConnect gets you up and running quickly, but then you'll be running slower long term. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.