iOS Files App and DSM

Currently reading
iOS Files App and DSM

Has anyone spotted this occasional problem, or perhaps have a solution?

I have my iPhone and iPad accessing my NAS via the iOS Files app, using a SMB connection. Both iPad and iPhone are on i(Pad)os14.4 and the NAS is on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3. I have 9 shared folders on the NAS and on both iPad and iPhone I have the excellent FileBrowser and Documents apps, both of which can access all the folders and files on the NAS always.

The Files app is useful but I have noticed that at times it refuses to show the directory listing of one or more shared folders on the NAS. Occasionally I find that I can access fully all but one or two folders, although not necessarily the same ones; (it is possible that they were the folders I most recently accessed.) The Files App simply shows the folder as having 0 items, which initially made me think that I had deleted the contents. Short term sleep on iPad/iPhone does not resolve this, neither does closing the Files App and opening it up again, although powering off/on does, but then this means re-entering my AppleID, etc. Leaving the iPad/iPhone for a while, e.g. 1/2 hour, while I do other things on the iPad/iPhone and then going back to the Files App can bring the listing back.

It is as though the directory listing needs refreshing, but there is no obvious way to do this. I am not sure if this is a NAS or Apple problem and it is possible it will go with either DSM7 or what I think is the imminent ios14.5, but then I hoped this when ios14 was issued.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Rusty, but neither DS File or Drive app.
1. The Shared folders simply appear under File Station on the NAS.

2. On the iOS device, the Files App offers 'Connect to Server' and that offers under 'recent servers' smb://My_NAS and smb://192.168... and either is all you need to add the NAS to the iOS Files App.

Thanks Rusty, but neither DS File or Drive app.
1. The Shared folders simply appear under File Station on the NAS.

2. On the iOS device, the Files App offers 'Connect to Server' and that offers under 'recent servers' smb://My_NAS and smb://192.168... and either is all you need to add the NAS to the iOS Files App.
Well, can you try and use the official DSFile app as a proxy mechanism in Files? If you install it, it should present itself inside the "Locations" submenu inside the Files app. Do you see all the content then? Also, would recommend using the smb://IPADDRESS instead of the NAS name for your connection.

Thanks again, Rusty. DSFile is already listed, but never used(!) except when going via VPN away from home. I will give it a try as well as using the ip address.

Haven't used iOS Files for SMB connections, mainly due to having other ways to connect that aren't limited to a home (or VPN) connection.

My preferred method for accessing the NAS via Files is to place the Shared Folder in Synology Drive as a Team Folder. But I do limit what I use this for and set Drive versioning to meet my needs, per Team Folder.

The iOS Synology Drive app doesn't go through an unlock every time I access it via iOS Files, but DS file does. I also have File Manager [for Business] and it does have to be already running in order to access its list of file shares via iOS Files.

My experience with iOS Files when editing iWork documents (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) remotely when there’s high network delay (on a different content from where the NAS is located), is not good. It worked fine if I’m on the LAN.
I think I have a better experience (remotely) after I switched to using Drive.

Thanks Fredbert and WST16 for comments.

Going on part of Rusty's comment earlier, I am trying both ip address and NAS name by having both under Shared smb connections. The problem is sporadic, in that it occurs at odd times. Interestingly, so far the ip address has not shown any problems, whereas the NAS name has.

Thanks WST16.
>>If using the IP address works for you then why not, keep using it.

I will, but having been using the NAS name for a while, I am curious as to the cause - not that I think I will probably find it. Hence, for the moment, comparing the two methods is interesting, especially as I do not know yet if the IP address method will fall over too. Additionally it may help somebody else experiencing the same problem who comes across this thread.

I have been using my DS-918 in my home office for 3+ years, and am running 6.2.1 update 4.
I want to know if Nsquirrel resolved the issues with his ios files not showing up sometimes? And assuming so, how?
I am asking because i have been using my NAS strictly with windows, but now want to use ios files as well because the Archicad software (.pln) files can be opened in windows or ios, but the software was originally ios and think the ios version might run smoother. I also store my windows'/android based work pictures videos (.jpg, heic, and mp4) as well as pdfs on the drive and would be moving to iphone and apple format pictures that i will also need access to from both machines.

Can you (anyone) enlighten me as to if the above work?

You can access SMB servers in the iOS Files app. If it doesn't work then check in DSM's Control Panel / File Services / SMB to see that the maximum version is at least v2, if not v3. Indeed, you really shouldn't now be using SMB v1 due to the exploited vulnerabilities.

In iOS Files you can access DS files and Synology Drive apps too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.