Moments iOS photo backups

Currently reading
Moments iOS photo backups

Can ds-photo be used for the backup/upload, and moments to actually view the content? Seems like moments is synology’s way forward, hopefully they will further build and implement a geo-fence option as well.

Can ds-photo be used for the backup/upload, and moments to actually view the content? Seems like moments is synology’s way forward, hopefully they will further build and implement a geo-fence option as well.

DS photo uploads to somewhere in the home/photo folder. Moments and Photo Station don't share folders so you'll need to test if either photo package can follow links to folders in the other package's storage area. Or see if you can run a task that copies DS photo backup to Moments folder.

@WST16 suggestion of the PhotoSync app looks interesting since it claims to use geo-fence (reading between the lines) too.

I’ve heard of photosync years ago from an old colleague who used it. It just sucks that with iOS the apps, such as moments, can run in the background to perform the backup.

You have to choose. For that you can go to the voodoo world of android :D

I tried it once because I had to. I couldn’t live with it. Not that there’s necessarily something wrong, it’s just looked and felt alien to me.
I’m a sucker for good design and great interfaces. And that side of the fence didn’t appeal to me at all.

I’ve been an Apple user for a long time so that has an affect on my adaptability to other offerings.
That’s why I have stated that I’m a Mac/iOS user at the top, because I’m often expressing myself from that point of view as I really don’t know much about such things as Windows for instance.

For iOS there is the ability for apps to run in the background, I mostly have this disabled because it takes battery to do it. Both Moments and DS photo support this though I'm not sure what they are doing because I'm sure that Moments doesn't use it to upload photos. I'm going to have to test this, if anyone else fancies trying it then this is my plan:
  1. Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh: Enable for Moments.
  2. Ensure Moments isn't running by double click the Home button and flicking up Moments, if there.
  3. Take photo in Photo's Camera Roll
  4. Monitor Moment web app to see if the photo appears.
  5. Open iOS Moments and switch away, leaving it running.
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
  7. Do lots of other iOS app stuff and leave Moments for some time so it gets hiberated by iOS.
  8. Repeat steps 3 nd 4.
What this is doing is seeing what, if anything, iOS background refresh is doing when we know Moments is not launched; has been launched but not current app; has been launched but is dormant and state managed by iOS.

That DS photo did use geo-fence and Moments doesn't isn't the walled garden it's that Synology developers have decided to remove this capability. It would be nice to know what the reasoning is.

I’ve been an Apple user for a long time so that has an affect on my adaptability to other offerings.
That’s why I have stated that I’m a Mac/iOS user at the top, because I’m often expressing myself from that point of view as I really don’t know much about such things as Windows for instance.

That's almost me too! If Windows doesn't work, I take it to our IT support :)

Yea unfortunately all of my apps in background app refresh are on, and moments hasn’t backed up since April 5th. I’ll probably put in a feature requests for this. I’m sure they’re still building out the capabilities as well. 🙄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.