iOS vs Android - is it still a huge gap within these worlds?

Currently reading
iOS vs Android - is it still a huge gap within these worlds?

Then Apple lost a throne of reliability in iOS product. It’s a falling down. Also sales. Then it’s a time, when firewall of data monetizing will fall also (WST16 share value mentions).
Apple’s share prices have increased so much since Steve Jobs. Tim Cook expanded the company with many products that Steve was hesitant to do (like wearables for example). The bottom line for investors, is company growth, and the company is growing.
Our opinions as “hard core” or “expert” users is one thing but what the market reacts to is different. The market (investors) believes Apple is a winner so far.

Like this topic!

For sure I prefer IOS (and esp. also MacOS) , because of its eco-system(HW & SW in one):
- Security
- Privacy control
- Openness to critics, by admitting its issues in term of HW & SW, recalls, no tricky controls in its forums;

Although I am using one of best PC in Windows field, Thinkpad X-serie latest (also hacintoshed), most probably I will switch to MacBook Pro for my next PC, yet I do like the Thinkpad's keyboard, robust build and its humble but professional look.

Android? tried several, from Logitech's first google TV to dozen of Mobile phones, just disappointing! Like Google and its Chrome itself, I don't trust them! Although I do remember their original slogan: "Don't be evil", but evil in its genes. On the other side, so many variants of Andorid (mobile) systems losing control, and misused by esp. Chinese mobile phone maker, e.g. for a simple router app, they ask for your GPS, access to your photo album, microphone, camera, etc... that is even in written, what's not in written, hehe, you pray for god.

For this reason, I really agree the idea from Snowden, Internet must be re-invented.

In this IT world, we don't have so many choices as before, because of market manipulating by the dominants, currently if I have to choose, I would choose Apple eco-system. (Yet, the perfect would be Thinkpad + MacOS, I don't like the shinning, metallic, cold, eye-catching look of MacBook, so superficial!)

e.g. for a simple router app, they ask for your GPS, access to your photo album, microphone, camera, etc...
Yes :)

This has always perplexed me when I’m trying some Chinese gadgets and apps, they want access to everything and your soul too. Although granting such access is totally unnecessary and usually irrelevant!

That’s why you should stick to tried and true gadgets, like Amazon’s oven :p

Isn't Android better than that now? Doesn't it allow for selective permissions when installing an app. I can't fully remember but I'm sure that I saw this recently. Anyway, for iOS the app asks permission for each access and only after installation ... I usually deny access until I can determine the negative effect of not having such-n-such access ... ok I'll allow calendars access for a calendar app :) but not a social media or sports tracker app.

From a user's point of view, having iOS and Android both being viable alternatives to each other means that they compete technically and that's to the good for whichever platform you choose. Some people will prioritise upfront price over longer support and not being data-mined. Some people don't have a choice on price contrary to what MacWorld considers to be an 'inexpensive' phone (iPhone 8 now at £480) but why you should really pay a 'small' amount more for the iPhone 11 (oh FFS!!!).

Sometimes you have to accept you can't have the perfect thing and make concessions to what's most important.

Always listening voice-activated devices ... well that's different ... no, no, nope, and no. You have to trust the manufacturer that they are doing what they say and nothing else, plus that the device is very secure against attack. Recent events would suggest that voice control isn't above the need for human 'quality control'.

From a user's point of view, having iOS and Android both being viable alternatives to each other means that they compete technically and that's to the good for whichever platform you choose.
THIS.
What really matters is that these alternatives exist and compete with each other, learn from each other, and improve over time.

I’ve updated my devices to iOS 13.1 and overall I’m very pleased with the changes.
Found one problem with Safari on iPadOS. When accessing my DS I can’t traverse folders when using File Station, almost always. However, this works with Safari on the iPhone! On the iPad, I tried both, request desktop and request mobile versions to no avail.

Apart from the above (which one can overcome by using another browser– I’ve tried Firefox), so far I’m very happy with the changes on iPadOS. My iPad is much more powerful now especially with what’s new in Safari, Files and spaces. Hopefully the above problem is fixed in a future release.

Overall, both devices (iPhone XR and iPad 11 pro) are a bit faster I’d say and I’ve noticed a slight improvement with Face ID.

For those who are still hanging to Synology’s DS Get (remember that one), I’m happy to say it still works :)

How did you get used to FaceID? I like fingerprint sensor and I'm not sure about FaceID.
Here’s another advantage to Face ID that I forgot about (once you get used to it, you’ll take it for granted).

36E27B04-80BA-4254-B4DE-EE429065B6E2.jpeg

I read a lot on my devices and this is so convenient. The device knows that you’re looking at it and keeps the screen on. Previously, with Touch ID, I had to touch the screen to keep it from dimming and shutting off (depending on the settings under auto lock).

First 24 hours with my first iPhone, number 11.

Impressed totally and Face ID is one of the best things I've ever used. You totally forgot that you have it and it makes it easier to use some apps (like Bitwarden - wow, new experience!).

And yes, the device knows when you're looking at it. Like said, I'm totally impressed by that OS.

First 24 hours with my first iPhone, number 11.

Impressed totally and Face ID is one of the best things I've ever used. You totally forgot that you have it and it makes it easier to use some apps (like Bitwarden - wow, new experience!).

And yes, the device knows when you're looking at it. Like said, I'm totally impressed by that OS.
I must admit I’ve been sceptical of the shift from fingerprint recognition to Face ID. But after using it for a while, it’s definitely been an improvement almost every respect.

The one exception is using it to unlock the phone - at least with the finger print scan it requires active input, whereas with FaceID someone can unlock the phone simply by flashing the phone at your face. But then I disabled using the fingerprint sensor for unlocking the phone a long time ago as one trade off between security and convenience too far, so I see no reason not to do the same with FaceID.

With “require attention” enabled, one must look directly at the phone to unlock it. Just saying, not trying to fix it for you. You’ve reached the point of no return :)
That’s fair, at least it reduces the risk of someone unlocking it without you being aware of it.

And if you’re the victim of a mugging, at least a mugger who’s done his/her research would avoid punching you in the face... :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.