Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Hello All,

I just got my first NAS and started setting it up and was wondering how I change the IP address
of the Nas Box as it is defaulting to a 192.168.0.xxx network and my internal network is a 192.168.1.xxx network ?

Should Lan1 be for the external connection (to modem) and Lan2 for the internal network connection ?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards Alex

Should Lan1 be for the external connection (to modem) and Lan2 for the internal network connection ?
If you want to make something like that you can.

The main question is do you have 2 subnets active in your plan or just one?

how I change the IP address
of the Nas Box as it is defaulting to a 192.168.0.xxx network and my internal network is a 192.168.1.xxx network ?
Control Panel > Network > Interface tab and there you can edit the IP address of all of your NAS network adapters.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rusty,
I assume there are good security reasons for leaving the external and internal networks separate.
Can i setup access to the NAS via internal IP addresses so no one else can login ?

Upvote 0
Can i setup access to the NAS via internal IP addresses so no one else can login ?
That should be already the case as long as you:

1) did not put your NAS in a DMZ zone
2) did not forward any ports from your router to your NAS
3) assume you have functional firewall on your router

The NAS is behind a router, right...?

Upvote 0
All the help on here has been invaluable...

After 48 hours being new to Synology... I've setup all the groups, users shares, firewall, installed ssd cache and upgraded ram so getting pretty close to it all being done.

Only thing i haven't done is a RAM and SSD test and cant find how though i believe they are on a separate app that I also couldn't find.

The only other thing I also need to sort is the 2 LAN drives and if it would be faster to use both on a 192.168.1.xxx network rather than a 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx. I would have to rename my modem to a xxx.xxx.1.1 address so all are on the same group and the network would use 2x1GB Lan's to access the NAS.

Getting much closer and thanks to everyone for their help :)

Upvote 0
Depends on what you mean by this. You want to bond them in a single interface/ip or what?
I have one lan port for the external to the modem and one lan for the internal both on different networks 192.168.0.xx and 192.168.1.xxx.
can i use 192.168.1.xxx for both and change the modems ip address to suit.

Upvote 0
I have one lan port for the external to the modem and one lan for the internal both on different networks 192.168.0.xx and 192.168.1.xxx.
can i use 192.168.1.xxx for both and change the modems ip address to suit.
Ofc you can

Upvote 0
Thanks Rusty. So would that speed up the network and would it use the 2 lan ports to write to the file server ?
As 2 separate lan adapters, no. It will help if you have clients on the other end using both IP addresses, but you would have to configure some to use one adapter or the other.

If you want to have this automatically then just setup Link aggregation setup and bond the 2 adapters. This way multiple clients will use the same IP address that will in return give them each 1G speed (until both 1G adapters are utilized). Without LAG configuration you will have to manually configure each client to use its own LAN adapter in order to have a dedicated lane.

So, in short, yes it will help speed up transfers from multiple sides, but without LAG it will be a manual work/configuration.

Upvote 0
As 2 separate lan adapters, no. It will help if you have clients on the other end using both IP addresses, but you would have to configure some to use one adapter or the other.

If you want to have this automatically then just setup Link aggregation setup and bond the 2 adapters. This way multiple clients will use the same IP address that will in return give them each 1G speed (until both 1G adapters are utilized). Without LAG configuration you will have to manually configure each client to use its own LAN adapter in order to have a dedicated lane.

So, in short, yes it will help speed up transfers from multiple sides, but without LAG it will be a manual work/configuration.
Thanks Rusty... Might just leave it as it is then... Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
  1. Connect your NAS and your PC by LAN cable
  2. Turn on NAS
  3. Download and start Synology Assistant, it should show an IP address of your device (and even allows you to change it), for example, I saw IP 169.254.79.47 and SA suggested changing it to 169.254.79.1
  4. Set up your PC network adapter to be in the same network as Synology Assistant shows
  5. open http://synologynas:5000/ OR http://<FOUND-NAS-IP>:5000/
    you should see the Synology Web Assistant interface

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.