Is Backing up Active Backup VM with Hyper Backup to Azure possible?

Currently reading
Is Backing up Active Backup VM with Hyper Backup to Azure possible?

NAS
DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
We bought a DS1821+ with 5 x 14TB plus a hot spare for Office 365 backups and I started to familiarize myself with other Synology backup solutions. Right now we use Altaro Backup for our VM to NAS with offsite storage to Azure and I would like to replace it but have not found a way for the offsite storage to Azure part. We keep the offsite backups for 2 weeks. The only way I could figure is backing up the VM with Active backup and using Hyper Backup to back it up to Azure but I don't know if data restored from Azure would be usable to restore to Hyper-V physical server.
-- post merged: --

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place. I just signed up and am a bit unfamiliar with the forum just as yet.

Is it possible to transfer to the correct section please?

Can’t say for sure as I haven’t tested Azure as a destination, but I can say that in case you decide to backup your O365 with AB4M365, using Hyper backup after that will not work with 100% working copy of your Active Backup data.

Ofc this will depend on what you would consider backing up in the 1st place. Synology’s recommendation (have tested it myself) is to not use HB but rather Snapshot Replication package for a full 100% working restore scenario (again this is for O365).

Considering that you are talking about a VM backup via ABB being pushed to the cloud I guess it could work as it doesn’t include the complexity of O365, but a simple backup-restore will sure give you an answer.

Upvote 0
Thank you Rusty.

I hadn't thought to use snapshot replication and will look into it and will perform a test with backing up and ABB VM backup with HB to Azure and restore. I will post my findings.

Upvote 0
Thank you Rusty.

I hadn't thought to use snapshot replication and will look into it and will perform a test with backing up and ABB VM backup with HB to Azure and restore. I will post my findings.
Snapshot requires another compatible nas ofc, but I understand the need to test out HB considering it can be configured for cloud destinations.

good luck!

Upvote 0
You are correct for the snapshots, unfortunately. I have a workaround that is not completely Synology. We have 7 Hyper-V VM. I already have a Veeam Backup and replication community edition installed that I was testing. I could backup to the 1821 then use HB to sync to Azure. Been fiddling around with this since we received the NAS this Tuesday. BTW Great Machine!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.