Is backing up @ActiveBackup directory to a thirdparty NAS enough to have an extra copy?

Currently reading
Is backing up @ActiveBackup directory to a thirdparty NAS enough to have an extra copy?

Hi!

I love how and what ABB does, great stuff for backing up ESXi VMs in my case!

I want an extra backup of ABB files to a thirdparty NAS and the best would be if my Synology NAS wouldn't even know about me taking these backups (so it will not have access to the thirdparty NAS). I am thinking about an rsync or scp script driven from the thirdparty NAS and sucking down the /volume1/ActiveBackupforBusiness/@ActiveBackup folder and that's about it.

Of course in case of a problem with my Synology NAS, I am aware that I may need to get a fresh Synology NAS and upload the /volume1/ActiveBackupforBusiness/@ActiveBackup folder from the thirdparty NAS and somehow relink it, but that is fine with me, if this is doable and I can get my VMs back.

What do you think? Is this a good strategy? Am I missing something here? Will it be easy to relink the restored /volume1/ActiveBackupforBusiness/@ActiveBackup folder if it is a completely new and empty Synology NAS configuration? Can I be 100% sure that my VMs can be restored this way?

Also there is a "/volume1/@ActiveBackup" folder too. I don't need this, only the "/volume1/ActiveBackupforBusiness/@ActiveBackup" folder, right?

Thanks,
Daniel

Thanks for the reply!
In the case of Active Backup for Business, the shared folder backup is not an option, because backing up /volume1/ActiveBackupforBusiness/ActiveBackupData folder would result in my case in 120TB data (the whole NAS has 3TB occupied), because this is a virtual directory that should not be backed up according to every tutorial. But I do not know what is essential to be backed up the way I described (with thirdparty and scp for instance).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.