Is BTRFS a valid/recommended file-system option?

Currently reading
Is BTRFS a valid/recommended file-system option?

NAS
DS718+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hello all,

My 718+ crashed today. "Critical Error on Storage Pool 1. Volume 1 is now in read-only mode". So I just wanted to get opinions on if I should stay with the BTRFS file system or go back to ext4 as I rebuild my NAS again. This is the 2nd time this has happened.

I thought that BTRFS was supposed to be much more stable and was supposed to have built-in protections to keep these kinds of problems from happening. I have no options for troubleshooting or repairing the file system. The only option it is giving me is to remove the Volume and create a new one, essentially wiping all my data. I luckily have a complete backup of my data, but it is going to take DAYS to copy it all back over. If this was a NAS used in a business, this would be a devastating, unacceptable event.

Both of my hard drives are showing Normal and Healthy. I think a scheduled Data Scrubbing triggered this failure, as it says "Unable to run data scrubbing because the storage pool is in abnormal status. Should I not ever set the volume to perform data scrubbing?

So what do you guys think about staying with BTRFS? I am on the fence about switching back to ext4 and never using BTRFS again.

Tim

Secondary thought: I have always used SHR for my RAID type. I will probably change it to RAID 1 from here on out, as I just read that BTRFS doesn't support SHR as far as all the file-system anti-corruption methods go. Maybe that is my file-system point of failure.

I use BTRFS for almost 4 years. And my four disks are in configured with SHR raid.
I only once had an issue but that were bad sectors on one of my oldest two disks.

I only once had an issue but that were bad sectors on one of my oldest two disks.
That's not even BTRFS related... :D
-- post merged: --

I will probably change it to RAID 1 from here on out,
Up to you, but I'd recommend to stick with SHR.

as I just read that BTRFS doesn't support SHR as far as all the file-system anti-corruption methods go.
There is only 1 things that can fully guarantee you to save yourself from file corruptions:
Backups

BTRFS should work fine. In my system I have a SHR data pool with BTRFS and one SHR pool EXT4. Both are stable.
Have not noticed anything like your experiences, also not on the forum. What disks do you have?

On the other hand, If you feel more comfortable with EXT4, and you do not use BTRFS functionality (like snapshots) the added value is not there, and you will only lose about 4% disk space overhead using BTRFS versus EXT4.
The bitrot thing is an overrated hype IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.