Is hyperbackup supposed to remove files created since the last backup upon a restore?

Currently reading
Is hyperbackup supposed to remove files created since the last backup upon a restore?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I've been trying to get my photo storage organized better. I found a program that works well, except that I didn't use it correctly and so I ended up with multiples of my photos. No problem I figured, I had made sure to run a backup prior to running the organization software on 12/1. When I restored to my previous files using hyperbackup, it did indeed restore my photos, but it did not remove any of the files that had been created in the backed up folder since the backup. Meaning, I have files that were created by the organization software on 12/6 that were not removed when I restored the 12/1 backup. Is this how hyperbackup is supposed to function? I assumed that it would remove all the new files and restore the old files.

Also, my NAS is currently bogged down indexing and creating thumbnails for all these pics. I plan on running the organization software again once I get the backup situation sorted out, so I assume there's no reason to waste further time indexing if they are all going to get sorted to new locations again anyways?
-- post merged: --

To further clarify the backup mess, I think that I basically have 2 complete copies of my photos: one original poorly organized copy, and the 2nd poorly sorted copy that I was planning on removing with the backup. I want to make sure that I can actually remove the 2nd poorly sorted copy.

Solution
When you pick a restore date in HB, those files will be present on your NAS at restore completion. If you selected "yesterday" then any changes you made "today" to files backed up yesterday would be overwritten however if you created "new" file today, it would not be deleted upon restore. OK?
Is this how hyperbackup is supposed to function? I assumed that it would remove all the new files and restore the old files.
It will not mirror your production state if that is what you are asking for. Also, by default, if you have versions active, you will have multiple points in time that will have all your data there.

Upvote 0
I'll try again. I had folder tree A that was my original structure. I have a backup saved of A on 12/1. on 12/6 I ran the file sorting program incorrectly, and this generated folder tree B that now contained all my photos. Tree A was deleted because it was empty. Today, I ran a restore expecting to see tree B removed and tree A restored. Instead, I have tree A right next to tree B. This is how I ended up with 2 complete copies of my photos. Is this normal function for a hyperbackup restore, or did I miss a setting somewhere?

Upvote 0
I'll try again. I had folder tree A that was my original structure. I have a backup saved of A on 12/1. on 12/6 I ran the file sorting program incorrectly, and this generated folder tree B that now contained all my photos. Tree A was deleted because it was empty. Today, I ran a restore expecting to see tree B removed and tree A restored. Instead, I have tree A right next to tree B. This is how I ended up with 2 complete copies of my photos. Is this normal function for a hyperbackup restore, or did I miss a setting somewhere?
What method of backup are you using? Is it the proprietary mode or a simple rsync?

Have you checked the backup using the explorer view to see what will be restored ?

What exact steps have you used?

Upvote 0
It is a local backup task to backup volume 2 raid drives 3&4 to volume 1 raid drives 1&2. The folder I want to backup is included in the task, which runs daily.

Yes, I reviewed the backup in the explorer prior to backing up to make sure I wasn't pulling in the B tree

To restore, I went Hyperbackup>>backup explorer>>selected the folder I wanted to restore & reviewed its folders on 12/1>>restore. I don't remember selecting any settings after selecting restore.

Upvote 0
When you pick a restore date in HB, those files will be present on your NAS at restore completion. If you selected "yesterday" then any changes you made "today" to files backed up yesterday would be overwritten however if you created "new" file today, it would not be deleted upon restore. OK?

Upvote 0
Solution
yeah, that's pretty much what happened. When the sorting program moved the files to new folders, it made hyperbackup think they were all new files. I just wanted to make sure that was normal, which it sounds like it is. I had assumed the restore would reset the entire folder back to its 12/1 config, including wiping out newly created files. Thanks for clarifying.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.