Is it me or are there many, many more problems since DSM7 release?

Currently reading
Is it me or are there many, many more problems since DSM7 release?

jann

Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I was just wondering this because I was scanning the forums and am seeing a lot more issues people have since the release of DSM7.
I haven't upgraded my NAS (1520+) yet cos - "Plex" - so I'm not on the receiving end of many of these issues.
I also tend to be a few months behind applying updates unless those updates fix something I am actively having issues with 'cos "if it ain't broke, don't patch it".

So I was just wondering if I was seeing more forum activity in general or more forum activity cos Synology released a DSM7 that was not ready for prime-time.

Opinions?

Jann

I'm not doing anything extensive w/my two boxes (DS218+ & DS220+), just file-serving, a number of different backups, cloud sync, and some scripts, and everything works just as it did w/DSM 6.x. So hasn't been a problem for me so far.

DSM6 is supported (bug fixes and security patches) through June 2023. Unless there is a "must have" feature that DSM7 offers, there is no need to upgrade before then (and it is possible that Synology may extend that date).

No issues here either, other than the 'unsupported drive' thing on a NAS running with the same drives as were previously 'supported' - before Synology got greedy. Plex was no issue for me either and I left the old one in place.

DSM7 runs faster and leaner, so that helps on my older NASes. Hyper Backups on DSM7 take less space, pushing back the need to upgrade my backup drives. RAIDs rebuild quicker too, even on old hardware. Being able to aggregate files from multiple NASes and make them look to clients like they are all on one is a very nice feature too.

For me CMS got worse though and I miss the simple button to trigger a WoL packet to the NAS of my choice. The update rate of CMS seems much slower too, telling me a NAS is offline even after I have been using it for a few minutes.

Other than that DSM7 gets a thumbs-up from me and I really held back before upgrading. Even then I ran it on all but my main NAS for ages.

☕

only real gotcha with DSM 7 for me was having to modify the NTLM security policy on my windows clients to NTLMv2. Have not yet installed the Beta of 7.1 but will on my backup 1815+ this weekend.

only real gotcha with DSM 7 for me was having to modify the NTLM security policy on my windows clients to NTLMv2. Have not yet installed the Beta of 7.1 but will on my backup 1815+ this weekend.
Which was a good thing to do, as microsoft should have done it, and it is a security improvement.

My plan is to wait until June of 2023 before upgrading, on both units, 718+ & 720+.
Why? Because what I use is working now, and I don’t want to rock the boat, and I’ve yet to find a V7 feature that I need ‘Right Now’.
Finally: Stability of both units are important to me. I know it’s good now, and as we all know: Upgrades are a one-way street with no: “Go Back”!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.