DSM 6.2 Is it possible to expand an SHR volume on a DS416slim using the USB3 port?

Currently reading
DSM 6.2 Is it possible to expand an SHR volume on a DS416slim using the USB3 port?

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Basically my DS416slim uses Shared Folder Sync to mirror a folder on my main NAS. The 416 is running out of space and it already has the biggest possible HDDs in it (2TB x 4). I've not really got much use for this NAS other than as a mirror for this folder, so if I can't expand the space it's kind of duff.

What I'd like to do is attached another HDD (either bus powered or external, that's not so important to me) and increase the volume size - but I'm not sure this is possible?

Solution
The short answer is 'No'. You can't span a Storage Pool across a NAS and external USB drive. It's the same with a NAS and non-Synology eSata device when using the eSata expansion port. The only way to expand the Storage Pool outside the host NAS is to use a Synology expansion unit.

You can create Shared Folders on USB drives (and non-Synology eSata drives) but they are not part of the in-NAS pools or volumes.
The short answer is 'No'. You can't span a Storage Pool across a NAS and external USB drive. It's the same with a NAS and non-Synology eSata device when using the eSata expansion port. The only way to expand the Storage Pool outside the host NAS is to use a Synology expansion unit.

You can create Shared Folders on USB drives (and non-Synology eSata drives) but they are not part of the in-NAS pools or volumes.

Upvote 1
Solution
Basically my DS416slim uses Shared Folder Sync to mirror a folder on my main NAS. The 416 is running out of space and it already has the biggest possible HDDs in it (2TB x 4). I've not really got much use for this NAS other than as a mirror for this folder, so if I can't expand the space it's kind of duff.

What I'd like to do is attached another HDD (either bus powered or external, that's not so important to me) and increase the volume size - but I'm not sure this is possible?
The spec for the DS416Slim says max 2TB x 4, but the compatibility list mentions several 4TB drives, so I would be tempted to try upgrading one drive. If all is OK you can gradually swap to 4x4TB drives.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.