Is it possible to move my backup location?

Currently reading
Is it possible to move my backup location?

NAS
Synology DS220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I am wondering if it's possible to move my backup location created by Drive Client. Currently it is stored in the "homes" folder, and has taken days to complete. (3TB of data). I ideally want this accessible in my "Teams" folder, so I can access my data from anywhere. If I move the data and update the backup location on Synology Drive Client, will it be smart enough not to start the backup all over again?

Thanks,
Stamp

Drive Client places the backup task's sync'd content in /home/Drive/Backup/<computer name>. I'm not aware of being able to move this as it is associated to the DSM user and so uses that user's home Drive folder.

'homes' is the Shared Folder that is created for User Homes feature. When a user accesses the NAS they will see a 'home' share that is linked to 'homes/<user>'. It's best to use 'home' with a standard user account and only use an administrator account (which can see 'homes') for maintenance tasks.

Upvote 0
Drive Client places the backup task's sync'd content in /home/Drive/Backup/<computer name>. I'm not aware of being able to move this as it is associated to the DSM user and so uses that user's home Drive folder.

'homes' is the Shared Folder that is created for User Homes feature. When a user accesses the NAS they will see a 'home' share that is linked to 'homes/<user>'. It's best to use 'home' with a standard user account and only use an administrator account (which can see 'homes') for maintenance tasks.
Hi fredbert!

On my laptop, I was able to specify where I want the backup, so I was able to put my laptops data into a specified folder that has team sharing on, making it accessible from my phone. (This was a custom made folder, nothing to do with homes/home)

What I am wondering is if I move my main PCs backup folder from the NAS dashboard, and then unlink/reset my Drive Client to the new destination, will Drive want to restart the backup process from the start, or recognise there is no new files in this directory?

1614515149316.png

Upvote 0
Ok, you've done this more recently than I have. But I don't remember an option to define where on the NAS that the backup content is stored, only what source items are included in the task.

I've only deleted and relinked sync tasks, which seemed to validate the content on Mac and NAS. But then I don't keep 3TB of backup using Drive.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.