Is it possible to use Synology Drive ShareSync to sync the Docker folder across two NAS boxes?

Currently reading
Is it possible to use Synology Drive ShareSync to sync the Docker folder across two NAS boxes?

NAS
DS920+, DS916+, DS211j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to use Synology Drive ShareSync to sync the Docker folder across two NAS boxes. I want to split of some my docker container over to another NAS, but I would like to keep the docker folder in sync just in case I need to migrate the containers back to NAS one.
Does anyone know if this is possible or has anyone tried this before? Or I'm I asking something really stupid now;-)

I haven't tried it with ShareSync tbh, but Snapshot Replication does work, if both NAS models support it.
Isn't Snapshot more of a backup solution? And it is a oneway sync read only.

I need more of a two-way solution so that if files are changed on NAS 2 and for some reason I need to migrate my containers back to NAS 1 that the files are already synced.

Isn't Snapshot more of a backup solution? And it is a oneway sync read only.

I need more of a two-way solution so that if files are changed on NAS 2 and for some reason I need to migrate my containers back to NAS 1 that the files are already synced.
Well snaps are not classified really as a backup method, but I hear you. It is correct that the snap will be read only on the destination side while the snap is active.

But back to your 2way sync needs. Are you sure you want to have that? I mean how would that work? For example if you have 2 containers running on both end at the same time with a synced content via ShareSync, how would those changes on both end happening affect both of these containers? Or are you planning to have only one side active in terms of containers, and have the volumes stay synced at all time? Is that what you are going for?

Guess that should work just fine, considering that shared folder sync feature is only a one way method as well.

Give it a go with a small sample and see how it works.

Or are you planning to have only one side active in terms of containers, and have the volumes stay synced at all time? Is that what you are going for?
Yes that is exactly what I need, just to keep the containers volumes in sync. The container in question will only run on one NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.