Currently reading
Is it possible ...

NAS
DS-718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Is it possible to create a folder on the NAS that can be accessed from the internet with the appropriate credentials? I'm thinking that I'd like the ability to transfer a large file by placing it in a folder that is sandboxed where the other user can only log into the NAS and access that folder for the purpose of retrieving that file?

If this is possible, please feel free to point me towards a "how to."

Cheap Dad

Personally, i’d setup a google drive map (or other supported cloud) on internet and have the file put there.
then create a one or two way sync with cloud sync to pull the file to the nas. With a filter you can select files based on extension.
Finally you can create a separate share on the nas with permissions for the specific users to retrieve it.
in that way, there is no external access needed to the NAS. That is possible as well, but a security risk That needs to be managed.
another “ secure way to do it is to have the file SFTP ‘ed to the nas share.

That’s certainly an option, but if I use Google Drive as part of the solution, why not just place the file there?

The thought came to me when I had to get 20mb of documents to my CPA for taxes. I don’t want that info in Google’s hands.

I assume your NAS is accessible from the internet so it can be as simple as sharing the file within DS File (generate a shared link) and set a passphrase/password or allow specific NAS user to download the file.

That’s certainly an option, but if I use Google Drive as part of the solution, why not just place the file there?

The thought came to me when I had to get 20mb of documents to my CPA for taxes. I don’t want that info in Google’s hands.
Well you could use synology Drive package to deliver that data in a public link without even the need for a user to have access to your NAS via a DSM account.

Not sure what CPA stands for... taxes... accountant?

If accountant, usually they work with multiple clients and I'd have thought would have already established a secure document system that enables clients to drop-off/upload sensitive information. It would make more sense for one party to do this than make all clients set up their own system.

I assume your NAS is accessible from the internet so it can be as simple as sharing the file within DS File (generate a shared link) and set a passphrase/password or allow specific NAS user to download the file.
This sounds like it could work. I may give it a shot using non-sensitive data.
-- post merged: --

Not sure what CPA stands for... taxes... accountant?

If accountant, usually they work with multiple clients and I'd have thought would have already established a secure document system that enables clients to drop-off/upload sensitive information. It would make more sense for one party to do this than make all clients set up their own system.
Yes, CPA is my tax guy and he is old school. No secure dropbox system. In fact, I'm likely the only one emailing him data. He mails me a tax workbook each year in paper ... ;)
-- post merged: --

Well you could use synology Drive package to deliver that data in a public link without even the need for a user to have access to your NAS via a DSM account.
This seems a good potential solution as well.

As already pointed out above…

You can set a password and an expiry date for the share.
It will also “streamline” your collaboration 🤪

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.