Is it Reasonable to Swap Primary DS Volumes for Offsite Backups?

Currently reading
Is it Reasonable to Swap Primary DS Volumes for Offsite Backups?

D

Deleted member 673

A friend proposes to use a DS exclusively for archives and backups - including offsite backup. The DS has one RAID5 storage pool (4-bays, 4-drives). No packages or other applications - no SSD cache - very basic configuration - nothing but a handful of SMB shares - and, of course DSM.

My friend would like to rotate 2-3 sets of HDDs between the backup DS and an offsite location on a weekly basis. The DS would be powered down when HDDs are swapped.

I don't have a way of testing this with the gear I have on hand. My first concern was for DSM integrity. For instance, what happens if there's a DSM update with HDD set '1' active on the DS while HDD set '2' is offline in offsite storage?

Thanks for any insights. Ron

Thanks for the thought @fredbert. He saw the info about DS1522+ with 10GbE mini-card; which started this discussion. He has 10-12TB total with occasional need for rapid transfer of 1-2TB subsets from/to a workstation. He's concerned about the speed limitations of USB and 1GbE.

My solution for offsite is to swap HDDs in OWC ThunderBay (Thunderbolt 3) enclosures on a Mac mini. Seems like a good tradeoff of speed vs. cost. He has the mini and HDDs. The enclosures are relatively inexpensive (compared to NAS). So I'm thinking that might be the best solution. Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back