Is it safe to upgrade by now?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Here's the background. I use a DS1621+ as my main NAS. Its key purpose is a Plex server and for Synology Drive to keep my data files consistent. I flip back and forth between desktop at home and laptop at work, so this is critical. I also have 2 x DS1819+ servers. One is at home and one is at my daughter's. They are used to back up the DS 1621+ contents. Not a mirror image, but rather a data copy. All are runing DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 3.

The question is: is it safe to upgrade to v 7.0.1? I expect no issues for the DS1618+ machines, but upgrading Plex still seems to be an issue. Advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Stephen

In short, it is all fine. The Plex thing (if installed via the Package center) does require some steps (one being uninstall of Plex while still on DSM6!), but apart from that there are no major showstopper in that regard.

Both Plex and Drive work just fine on DSM7.x. What most people are mostly disappointed atm is the new Photos app, but if you are not using your setup for that purpose, personally I see no problem migrating over.

Plex as a platform will work just fine, as there are dedicated DSM7 version already on the plex.tv official site.

Maybe just have a look (if you haven't already) on major steps that need to be executed for Plex migration over to DSM7. Check the official Plex forum on the matter, or have a quick look in the article here.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I only moved my 21+ machine to DSM7 in recent days and all is well. No issues with the upgrade and I didn't do any particular prep other than backups etc. Plex works perfectly, both as a server and as a media store for a different PMS instance on another device. Same goes for all the other services provided by my 21+ with the only slight exception being Homebridge, which took some additional tweaking to talk to my Nest Thermostat again.

Go for it and good luck - plenty of support on here should you have a hiccup somewhere.

☕

Upvote 0
@Robbie
when you say "moved" do you mean you had DSM 6.x on your 21+ NAS with PLEX server/media installed and then you just upgraded to DSM 7.x and Plex worked automatically after update or you used that manual procedure of deinstalling/fixing plex data and then it worked ?

For me, it seems that OP is mostly worried about PLEX i.e. to keep all the data in plex working after upgrade.

Sure for brand-new Plex on DSM there are no issues but moving Plex server on DSM to 6.x to Plex on DSM 7.x without loosing all the settings is another story from what i gathered.

And as Rusty pointed there is plenty of tutorials online for that but i've never heard it's automatic as in "just works" after DSM upgrade...

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Plex on 21+ with DSM6, upgraded to DSM7, installed Plex for DSM7 from the Syno Package Store (ie the always way-behind version). Once installed I then upgraded to the very latest Plex version with the usual manual package install.

The only oddity noted was the change of Plex directory which moved from 'Plex' to 'PlexMediaServer':

2022-01-21 at 08.51.40.png

In my case this meant that I should change the location of the Plex Transcode Temp Directory. I haven't yet as until I started typing this I forgot about it, so it it still points to the old directory. Still works there of course as I have not deleted it, plus I routinely transcode on a Mac mini so it only gets used for testing / by accident.

I was aware of all the tutorials but just wanted to see what happened now that both Plex and DSM7 have matured a little. I am a Plex Pass user and use the DVR capabilities with a 4 channel digital TV broadcast media converter.

☕

Upvote 0
Not in Docker, but I followed @Rusty 's guide to migrate Plex when moving from DSM 6 to 7. When installing Plex for DSM 7 the main thing is to read the information that's displayed and be sure to add access to your shared folders that hold the media files... BTW I only added read-only to these shared folders and it works fine.

Upvote 0
Umm ... is there a "how-to" guide to install Plex in Docker? I have no idea what to do. For that matter, I do not know how to run Docker containers.
I have an article on that, but I wouldn't suggest running Plex in docker as your 1st container. I mean no offense, but Plex seems like an important element, and personally, I think you will be better off using it on bare metal than in Docker, especially with this migration scenario.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.