Question Is it still a good time to buy a DS918+?

Currently reading
Question Is it still a good time to buy a DS918+?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Hi all,

The price of the DS918+ keeps on falling! Is this an indication of a replacement on the horizon or is it just the supply vs. demand during the product’s lifecycle?

With the introduction of the DS1019+, I’m thinking that Synology won’t jeopardize the sales of this new module too early by replacing the 918+

I have a reason to shuffle my current DiskStations and I’m considering the 918+, but I really don’t want to walk out of the store with it (or have it delivered) to find out that a replacement is announced the very next day :)
Appreciate the input of users who’ve been with Synology for so long to have developed a sense for the products replacement trends.

Don’t hesitate M8 to do it!
I have purchased DS718+ even with the problematic CPU, but I purchased it with extended warranty for next 3y (2y in base) just for 71€. Then when CPU will pass away due to Intel issue (known), it will help to save the value. And after 5y ...

I think you have to consider not just Synology lowering prices in anticipation of its OWN next product, but also the behavior of Synology's competitors. Synology's pricing decisions undoubtedly take into consideration the pricing on their competitors' closest comparable products. In the case of the 918+, the closest competitor is probably the QNAP TS453-Be, which is generally available at the moment for somewhere between $400 and $450 in the US. If QNAP lowers the price of that product significantly (perhaps in anticipation of QNAP's own next product), Synology will have to do the same, regardless of its own product lifecycle plans.

you have to consider not just Synology lowering prices in anticipation of its OWN next product, but also the behavior of Synology's competitors.
That’s a good point. Not following QNAP as I’m not interested in their products. But I know that they tend to be cheaper than Synology.

Speaking of competitors. There’s another NAS solution that I’ve came across recently called Terramaster (reminds me of Toastmaster). I only know that it’s Chinese with one ugly logo.

Would say that in 2020 we won’t see a new 4bay plus model but we might see an announcement for one. Can’t be sure. Just my thoughts considering I use 4bay devices for 9 years. It’s usually 1,5-3y period cycle.

It's now 2 years and 4 months since the 918+ came out. By the end of 2020 it will have been 3 years and 3 months. So I don't see how the first and last sentence here go together.

(I'm also looking extremely closely at the DS918+ and similarly don't want to pull the trigger in mid-February and then see a March announcement.)

So I don't see how the first and last sentence here go together.
1st sentence was my comment that if there was a 4bay coming this year we would probably get an announcement already. If one will come out soon it will probably be x21 model. The last sentence was just based on 4bay history: 412, 415, 916, 918.

All in all we will see.

back to pragmatic point of view:

1. Purpose of the new NAS?
e.g.:
- Mail server performance for max. 100 concurrent users
- Drive 2.0 server for max. 100 concurrent users
- Hyper backup for Backup of two previous servers (include internal Share folders)
- Synology Drive ShareSync - availability/backup of your Drive server to another site
- File Server ...
- Docker for additional 20+ small servers (performance/users point of view)

2. Requirements for Data operation model based on the purposes (when data/service availability is mandatory):
e.g.:
- two disks, single disk group in SHR/RAID1 for Mail server
- two disks, single disk group in SHR/RAID1 for rest of them

then you have super utilized 4 bay DS918+, contains Intel Celeron J3455, 2MB Cache, 4C with 1.5-2.3GHz with maxed 8GB RAM (DDR3L/1866MHz), possible 2x NVMe support for cache, 2x1Gbps Eth, PCI Express revision 2.0, .....
... in my country about 513Euro + VAT (include upgrade to 8GB RAM)

or you can purchase DS1019+ with same HW spec, but you will get 1+bay for a Spare Disk (comfortable operation)
... in my country about 631Euro + VAT (8GB RAM in basic config)

or you can purchase DS1618+ with better HW spec, +2bays for another (better data/disk tiering), faster CPU based on newest and better (no problematic) Atom C3538 - same 4C but with better 8MB Cache, better DDR4 running at 2133MHz, more 4x1Gbps Eth, faster PCI Express revision 3.0, also with 2xNVMe support, this model you can upgrade with RAM up to 32GB RAM (useful for expected business development) or more concurrent users (specially for Mail server)
... in my country about 746Euro + VAT (include upgrade to 8GB RAM)

because NAS purchase is kind of investment to min. 5y usage then you can compare the mentioned Added Values vs Cost in such "mid term" period
220Euro vs 746Euro for 5y operation

OFC, this is my kind of approach to such decission
Then I don't need wait for "better" CPU for new 4-bay NAS from Syno. because I don't know what CPU they will use and if there is an added value vs current/available (mentioned) NASes architecture. And for what price?

If you compare the DS918+ and DS1019+ (Product List | Synology Inc.) and highlight the difference then you'll see that there's very little new in the DS1019+. Alternatively, you can infer that the DS918+ will (or can) be supported for as long as the DS1019+ even though its design is a year older.

Best thing is to work out want's important and don't get swept away with the "it's only £50 more for the next one". Because you'll be four or five models up without realising you could've put in the disks in the model that does what you actually need.

Agree. This is my approach mentioned above - what I really need/expect?
Then primary answer must be based on my operation architecture expectations (services, ...).
Because, when I begin with model name, it’s highway to hell.

Btw:
Maybe there is a description error in section - Cloud Station Server - for DS1019+. Because, there is 2x smaller number for Recommended Number of Hosted files vs DS918+, ... what doesn’t make sense.

Maybe there is a description error in section - Cloud Station Server - for DS1019+
Most probably was that when they started but realised CSS is being phased out so forgot it. CSS is replaced by Syno Drive Server and the specs are identical.

The whole point of this thread isn't to compare slots in Synology's lineup, it's to speculate on when the 918+ is up for replacement. And the only comment on that has been "We're 2.5 years into a 3 year product cycle, so probably there won't be a replacement for over a year, and if there is it will be 921 instead of 920 which I'm implying doesn't count for some reason??"

The whole point of this thread isn't to compare slots in Synology's lineup, it's to speculate on when the 918+ is up for replacement. And the only comment on that has been "We're 2.5 years into a 3 year product cycle, so probably there won't be a replacement for over a year, and if there is it will be 921 instead of 920 which I'm implying doesn't count for some reason??"
when you will read previous with an understanding, you will see, that, there isn’t mentioned number of slots as first important value (it’s last added value). There are more important things:
- current highest PCI Express revision is 3.0 for each Motherboards (then 918/1019+ are out) = for better processing and I/O
- current highest RAM spec is DDR4 2666MHz for Desktop NASes (applicable for DS1819+ or DS1816+)
- number of Ethernet slots (usable, when your network topology supports LAG, or split of single/two NICs for WAN and single/two for LAN, also in balancer mode).
- and more differentiations.

In short then. Yes, 918 is still a great buy today imho. If it fits your bill and needs, buy it.

In short then. Yes, 918 is still a great buy today imho. If it fits your bill and needs, buy it.
From every single point of view is 918+ really adequate for a home usage, even for small companies.
I think that was the gist of what I was saying when the DS1019+ is very much current and for intents and purposes a DS918+ with an extra drive bay.

The point of the thread was if the DS918+ is worth buying now (see @WST16 original post: because immediate needs are saying to buy now) or will there be something immediately around the corner (which would be annoying). As such, from a Syno support view, it should be supported for as long as the newer DS1019+ and so the lifespan should be quite a few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.