Is there a better way of mapping network drives?

Currently reading
Is there a better way of mapping network drives?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I while back I posted this thread of my mapped network drives disconnecting: Solved - Why do my mapped network drives keep disconnecting?. I thought my problem was solved, but it was not.

Currently I am always re-mapping the drives using Syno Assistant. If I disconnect the computer from the network or shut it down, I lose connection to the mapped drives and almost always end up disconnecting and re-mapping all of them and it is getting very old.

I'd like a more robust system, and ideally, I'd like to be able to access the mapped drives even when I am not on my home network. Meaning, I want to be able to access a mapped drive anywhere I have internet access via file explorer and not having to use DSM or Drive and without having to re-login to the drive. I also don't want the drives to be losing the connection and essentially going dead all the time. Basically I want it to act like a normal drive that is physically installed in the PC. Is there any way to do this? I'm running a DS918+ on ubquiti network gear if it matters.

So you are facing still the exact same issues from your old topic? If so, why start a new topic?
The old one was marked as solved and I didn't see how to unsolve it. This one is really an expansion of the old one because I'm hoping to find a way to leave the drives mapped even when accessing remotely.

Ok. So having drives not automativally remapped after a reboot is a very common Windows sight. In most cases with a red cross but after clicking on it it will will reconnect.

I solved this problem myself with a login script I've built myself to remap my drives automatically.

I get the red cross and sometimes one will connect but then the rest won't because it'll give an error saying that I have too many user logins, which isn't correct. So there isn't any way to have remote-accessible mapped network drive?

This sounds very similar to a problem I'm experiencing since the latest Windows 10 update.
My Synology shares always remapped flawlessly after a shutdown and a restart of my Win10 laptop. But after the latest update, my drives refuse to remap automatically after a cold start.
After powering up my laptop and issuing a 'net use' command in CMD, they show as "Disconnected".
Then, after an immediate restart of the laptop, I goto CMD again and 'net use' will show them as "Unavaliable". Then, when I go to Windows Explorer and click on the drives (which are showing red crosses) they will connect, change to green and the mappings can indeed be used as normal.
The strange thing is that this problem does NOT occur with two drives I have mapped to shared folders on my Raspberry Pi running Samba. Only the Synology drive show this behavior.
So:
- cold start ..... -> "Disconnected"
- "warm" restart .... -> "Unavailable" -> click on icons -> "OK"

Since I didn't have that problem in the past, and due to the fact that Raspberry/Samba shares have no problem, I suspect it is a WIndows thing.

NAS Newbie.... Several years ago, the RED CROSS was an ongoing issue for me (and others) and I exhausted every possible solution that was suggested with no positive result. After switching to Synology and through nothing but trial and error, I finally resolved Mapping Drives, and they do not reoccur with Red X. This is all on a Windows 10 Home System.

I can't guarantee your success, but attached is the procedure I use.... I've documented them as I use them as reference whenever I set up a new drive.

Note: When I originally needed and learned about Mapped Drives and I could not get them to stop the dreaded RED X reoccurrence after Re-Boot, I must have tried at least 25+ Changes in the Registry, Security, and other locations. Just be aware that my procedure worked for me on a CLEAN install, not on one that had previous changes made to it that may interfere with the setup.

Please Let me know if this resolves your issue.... Good luck!

Mapping drives via Synology Assistant:

A) WIN 10> Control Panel> File Explorer Options> Advanced Settings> Hidden Files and Folders> Show Hidden Folders> Apply> Okay to Close

B) Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center> Advanced Sharing Settings> Change Sharing Options for Different Network Profiles> Guest Or Public> Network Discovery> "Turn On Network Discovery"> File and Printer Sharing> "Turn On File and Printer Sharing" > Save Changes

1) Install Synology Assistant - You will use the Map Drive Function within the Assistant for the below steps.

2) Highlight NAS> Click on MAPDRIVE

Note: You must Map All Drives Desired in a single Session. New Additional Drives cannot be added later and you will need to Start from the beginning and Map ALL the Drives.

3) Enter Name + Password of NAS/Synology Login- "admin" + "password" NOTE: After the First Drive is Mapped, Each Additional Drive to Be Mapped will allow you initially Login with "Previous USER Name"

4) Use Predetermined Drive Letter Assignments to Correctly Map the Drives desired

Highlight Shared Folder to Be Mapped with Drive Letter (Click Next)

5) Use Dropdown DRIVE Box to associate Drive Letter to correct share

Tick Box "Reconnect at Logon" Located at Bottom Left Of Wizard

5b) A "Windows Security" Box will Open> Enter your NAS Name & Password & "Remember Your Credentials" > Click "OK".... NOTE!!! The WINDOWS CREDENTIALS is the SAME as the NAS Credentials!

6) Confirm Drive + Share -

7) Tick "OPEN THE MAPPED DRIVE" Box in the Lower Left Corner of the Assistant

8) Click Finish

9) Repeat Steps 2 thru 8 for Each Drive to be Mapped

Note: After the First Drive is Mapped, Each Additional Drive to Be Mapped will allow you initially Login with "Previous USER Name"

10) Note: A Windows Security Box will open Each time asking for the Name + Password of the NAS. Enter this same information and Tick the "Remember My Credentials"

11) Do the above for EACH Drive during the Same Session... Adding additional Map Drives at a later time for some reason will fail.

Instead of mapping shares, create a shortcut that leads to all shares...
  1. Right-click on Desktop... select New/Shortcut.
  2. In the address box enter either
    \\nasname
    or
    \\nasipaddress
  3. Ignore the Browse button... Click Next.. and Finish

I while back I posted this thread of my mapped network drives disconnecting: Solved - Why do my mapped network drives keep disconnecting?. I thought my problem was solved, but it was not.

Currently I am always re-mapping the drives using Syno Assistant. If I disconnect the computer from the network or shut it down, I lose connection to the mapped drives and almost always end up disconnecting and re-mapping all of them and it is getting very old.

I'd like a more robust system, and ideally, I'd like to be able to access the mapped drives even when I am not on my home network. Meaning, I want to be able to access a mapped drive anywhere I have internet access via file explorer and not having to use DSM or Drive and without having to re-login to the drive. I also don't want the drives to be losing the connection and essentially going dead all the time. Basically I want it to act like a normal drive that is physically installed in the PC. Is there any way to do this? I'm running a DS918+ on ubquiti network gear if it matters.
I am not an expert like some of the others on this forum, but here are my musings based on my experience.

I am using SMB drive mappings on my network and we do not have a problem with disconnects. The workstations are all Windows 10 professional and we are using a local domain with Synology Directory Server. But the drive mapping is occurring on the workstations and not through Active Directory. I am not sure if its the fact that we are using a domain, but no problems and I've been doing this for 4 years. Initially, I was using local logins before using Active Directory and I still don't remember that there was a problem with disconnects unless the NAS was power-cycled.

As far as mapping the drives across the internet, I would be very cautious. The way to do that is to implement a secure VPN and only map the drive when you are on the VPN. SMB is not a secure protocol (as far as I know) and is not meant to run across the internet. I don't know if there is an alternative protocol you can use for drive mapping securely, although this sounds like a great feature to add to the NAS.

So I now haven't had an issue with disconnects despite multiple restarts, LAN disconnects, etc, and I didn't change any settings from what I had before.

I did try out @Telos shortcut suggestion, and it looks like it might be a good solution for LAN access to the drives. I have a couple shortcuts set up, I'll have to see if they disconnect whenever the mapped drives disconnect next.

Instead of mapping shares, create a shortcut that leads to all shares...
  1. Right-click on Desktop... select New/Shortcut.
  2. In the address box enter either
    \\nasname
    or
    \\nasipaddress
  3. Ignore the Browse button... Click Next.. and Finish
Telos.... I recently needed to re-Boot multiple times my Modem / Router / NAS due to a issue with Google Voice as the Threat Prevention on the 2600 was stopping any audio. That issue has been resolved but when a power Failure or re-booting is needed otherwise, losing the 7 Mapped Drives from my PC to the NAS due to an I.P change each time, its always a time consuming exercise restoring them. I just discovered your Map Drive workaround during a search for alternatives.. A quick Test using the NAS Name with the folder name at the end appears to work. May I ask if your method will still work if the IP of the devices changes? Can this be considered a 1:1 Replacement for the traditional Mapped Drive? Any downsides I should be aware of here? I initially read elsewhere that you should obtain a STAIC I.P. from your ISP, but Spectrum will only provide that to certain businesses, and am not sure this would help my issue with wishing to not have to update Mapped Drive IP Addresses each time a Re-Boot is needed. As you can see, I am not a Network Pro, so feel free to explain as simply as needed.

Thanks!

There are now "downsides". If you are accessing the NAS only from your LAN, there is no need for a fixed IP from Spectrum... only a fixed (or reserved) IP from your router. Without that, the NAS IP may change with every NAS (or router restart). Since you are using the NASNAME, your network should update and local IP changes, but things like Windows can be finicky.

For external access, without a fixed WAN IP, DDNS is a workaround.

There are now "downsides". If you are accessing the NAS only from your LAN, there is no need for a fixed IP from Spectrum... only a fixed (or reserved) IP from your router. Without that, the NAS IP may change with every NAS (or router restart). Since you are using the NASNAME, your network should update and local IP changes, but things like Windows can be finicky.

For external access, without a fixed WAN IP, DDNS is a workaround.
Thank you for your thoughts on this. Your method will allow me to run side by side tests over time to determine if I am asking too much of it. After jumping through hoops trying to get my VoIP to work consistently, I'm not ready to reboot everything to see how much damage I have done. This is at least a possible solution.....

Last edited:
Telos.... Your Desktop Shortcut to the NAS is very convenient, however I hoped it would be a replacement for Mapping Drives for me. I use Backup / Sync programs here I require a Mapped Drive for each NAS Folder that I aim the Sync Program to. The Desktop Shortcut is not being recognized by the Software ( Allway Sync & Macrium) as a Drive or folder that allows it to act as substitute for a Mapped Drive.

Is there a way to permit this to act as a true Mapped Drive link in lieu of a true Mapped Drive?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.