Currently reading
Is there a network speed setting?

NAS
DS1517+, DS715, DS212J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Looking at the network settings on my DS1517+, I see that the port I am using has status "100 Mbps, Full duplex, MTU 1500".
I had thought that this model had GB Lan - and I would have expected that to be listed as 1000 Mbps. Do I have that wrong?
I've tried different network ports on the main switch that it's plugged into, and see the same speed, thought maybe I'd check in here to see if there was a 100/1000 toggle I'd somehow missed before I swap in a new switch.
Any ideas - or is it new switch time?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Fire hose answers...
  • Are you connected to a switch or router that is rated 100Mbps?
  • Is your Ethernet cable good?
  • Bent pins inside the NAS RJ45 socket?
  • Switch cable to LAN2 connection... Does its value report 1000Mbps?
  • SSH in and
    Code:
    ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full

I would add to @Telos questions :
- are there other devices connected to that switch and are they reporting 1000Mbps ?

There are.
32 port switch, and the fourth port I tried worked fine - which means yeah, it's time to swap in a new switch.
32's kind of overkill for just-a-home. Don't need even 24, but got a deal on this one some years back. It doesn't owe me anything at this point...

Depending on the switch, but it's not uncommon for the LEDs to show different states/colours depending on negotiated/configured speed. If the switch is old it may have a mix of ports at different speeds. Is it managed, or at least not unmanged, then there may bea configuration portal on the switch.

Another question - are you running on at least cat5e or higher cabling? That is a requirement for 1GBE. If so and everything else is running 1GBE I'd check the cable. The brand new 1 GBE that came with my1815+ was bad out of the box. If I had not caught it on the NAS side I wouldn't have even noticed.

I had the same issue with my home network. Flaky component somewhere. I can retrieve Gb performance by rebooting my computer, router, switch and NAS. Lasts for a few days and then reverts to 100mbps and I have to reboot the system again.

I had a speed problem with my home network until I checked each cable and found that one had a broken wire in an Ethernet wall socket. A cheap 2 part cable tester located the cause and I had it rectified in minutes. If I remember correctly, gigabit requires all 8 wires connected, whereas lower speed connections need only 4 wires.

Another question - are you running on at least cat5e or higher cabling? That is a requirement for 1GBE. If so and everything else is running 1GBE I'd check the cable. The brand new 1 GBE that came with my1815+ was bad out of the box. If I had not caught it on the NAS side I wouldn't have even noticed.
I think I know what you mean but for clarity in a typical home / small network proper Cat5 is all you need. By proper I mean 4 twisted pairs of copper in the normal format with good terminations. The situations that require higher wiring standards are highly unlikely to apply on a small home network. Patch cables are often sold with much higher Cat rating, suggesting higher performance, but in no way do they meet the true capabilities of humble yet proper Cat5.

👍

It is not wise to lean on definitive 'NOT' statements if you don't have a complete grasp on what the later Cat5e and above cable standards look to overcome.

Again, I stand by my statement that Cat5 and above share the exact same electrical fit, form and function of the later standards. If you do not need the extra enhancements due to a low noise environment or shorter distances or indeed both (in the case of a small / home network) then the higher standards will do nothing for your network. Speed of light in copper remains the same but you gain the inconvenience of thicker and more difficult cable to work with and spend extra money for it.

As for me, I run a 10GbE home network (maximum run 29m) on humble Cat5e. Works perfectly and passes all tests. Indeed, it would be madness if it didn't given that the typical home does not contain any noisy RF-spewing machines or ethernet cable bundles as thick as a mans chest or running to thousands of switch ports in a confined space with cable lengths approaching 100m.

Very, very odd.... I've seen 10GBE running on CAT 5e cable..

Indeed @Akira

I also find a little insulting that a network that I have been running like this for a number of years apparently cannot be true just to satisfy someone with a simplistic or blinkered view on how and why the ethernet cable standards are what they are.

For the curious, I have always been very open about when and where I use fibre and higher standards of cable in my work environment and why and how I have chosen to use Cat5e for small networks, including my own home. I also publish what I use and why, including on this forum and the UI community.

This is not a bizarre multi-year conspiracy to mislead anyone as to what Cat5e is capable of when it comes to 10GbE networks in benign environments:

______

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.