Is there a way to better configure this tool

Currently reading
Is there a way to better configure this tool

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Ive run backup4all professional on my computers for years and love how tailorable the software is. ... its how I backup my PC files to my NAS... but what I want to do is have a program automatically push files from 1 storage pool to another only 1 or 2x a month and maybe not the entire pool.
I could EASILY do this with backup4all but I dont want to put the burden on my laptop.
Is there a better way? I've looked at this tool quickly and it seems like I cannot set it on specific days of the month 15/30 and I cannot target a specific destination.
Compared to Active backup this at least supports multiple pools on the same NAS.
THANKS

Hyper backup and active backup are two separate tools intended for different backup options.

HB is used for backing up your nas data, and ABB is for backing up your pc/computer to your nas.

push files from 1 storage pool to another only 1 or 2x a month and maybe not the entire pool.
Are we talking about nas pools here or what? What’s the end game here?

Hyper backup and active backup are two separate tools intended for different backup options.

HB is used for backing up your nas data, and ABB is for backing up your pc/computer to your nas.

Are we talking about nas pools here or what? What’s the end game here?
The end game is to get data from one basic non-raid pool over to a raid 1 pool 2x a month to back that up... then 1x a month it will go to the 3rd pool (also non-raid) where it can be safely removed and stored in a safe
so think of it this way
Live DATA pool -> redundant backup raid pool -> removable pool
2x a month 1x a month

Hyper backup then as a platform of choice
Is there a way to better tailor the schedule? it looks like it is designed to only run weekly and not less periodically.

I also assume that its saving the files in a clustered format so say I delete a file and need to recover it (forget the synology recycling bin in this example)... the only way to recover it is to restore the entire backup? I see there is a compression on/off setting. Sorry I should just run a backup and see how it goes. I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing especially given the amount of space I will be sacrificing but my monthly backups really should only be run 1x a month, not every week since those are more long term storage for me.

Thanks a lot Rusty! You have helped me a few times and I appreciate it. The last NAS i had was a simple DS216j.. now that I have the power and flexibility behind the 920+ im trying to do some of the things i previously wanted to but didnt.

Is there a way to better tailor the schedule? it looks like it is designed to only run weekly and not less periodically.
But you only need it 1xmonth. I’m sure that will be then more then fine.

also assume that its saving the files in a clustered format so say I delete a file and need to recover it (forget the synology recycling bin in this example)... the only way to recover it is to restore the entire backup?
No, you can use Hyper Backup explore view or Hyper Backup Vault app (even the desktop version) that will allow you to get access to the proprietary database format that HB uses as a default.

Also you can use HB with rsync method (single-file) that will allow you to backup content using the standard file/folder structure view.

I can I can just tell it to keep only 1 version and run 1x a week. I just need these 5 different backups I am doing to not trip over each other than they are all accessing my 1 storage pool.... thankfully they are running faster on this system and I upped it to 20GB of Ram and 2x 500GB M2 cards.
No, you can use Hyper Backup explore view or Hyper Backup Vault app (even the desktop version) that will allow you to get access to the proprietary database format that HB uses as a default.

Also you can use HB with rsync method (single-file) that will allow you to backup content using the standard file/folder structure view.
I will definitely look into those! Thankfully I dont need backups often but I feel great comfort in having them! :) Thank you again

so i just ran the backup and see what you mean about the explore view from the NAS! THat is pretty neat. and if that pool dies and I need to recover I assume a fresh install of HB would recognize it or do I need to save the settings separately? I just want to make sure that when I move that backup to that third pool via a 2nd backup that it dosnt all go to hell.

The other thing I notices was even with Compress files checked, the file size was pretty darn close to what the original ones. Its fine but I thought it would shrink it more.

assume a fresh install of HB would recognize it or do I need to save the settings separately?
Correct. As soon as you restore that backup a fresh HB will offer relink to the existing task/backup and allow access to the data
Its fine but I thought it would shrink it more.
It depends on the data type in the backup

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back