Is there any way at all, to write tags, description, etc, into HEIC and video files? OR atleast write them into sidecar files?

Currently reading
Is there any way at all, to write tags, description, etc, into HEIC and video files? OR atleast write them into sidecar files?

NAS
DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have been on the hunt for a "future proof" way of organizing mine, and my families photos. Im tired of getting everything organized in one program only to find out all my tags, etc, were only stored in its own DB and if I move to another program all my organization is gone and I now have a disorganized mess again.

But, as luck would have it, apparently Synology Photos is one of the few programs that actually does write the metadata into the original file! yay! But not for HEIC or video files (.mov)... Well as a primarily Apple household, about 75%, and growing, of our photos and videos are all .HEIC and .MOV, which according to Synology are 2 formats that Photos wont write metadata into.

I know some people have managed to write various scripts and tools that can tie into the PostgreSQL database that backs Photos and extract metadata. So My question is does anyone know of a tool, or what would need to be done to make a tool, that can automatically take my tags, keywords, people, description, etc, from Photos and either write it into the original HEIC & MOV file OR write it into a xmp sidecar file?

I would need to do this automatically, and what I think the hardest part would be is I would need to do this for all users not just me.

I would consider myself a fairly advanced user, and I have dabbled in bash and writing scripts before so I am not opposed to learning how to create a solution for this if one doesnt currently exist. But there are parts to this that I think are a bit over my head.

2022-09-20 at 21.42.58.png

☕

Have you looked at ExifTool? The supported file types include HEIC, HEIV, and MOV and it says for both read and write.

Have you looked at ExifTool? The supported file types include HEIC, HEIV, and MOV and it says for both read and write.

I have and it will probably be required for any of this to work.

The first hurdle would be how to get the metadata from the Photos database for all users? and then how to keep the files updated with changes from the Photos app.

Yes Synology claims that Photos is compatible with EXIF but:

1. Syno Photos has a lot limitations. In your case:
The following metadata cannot be read by Synology Photos:
  • Photos: The General tag, Description, and Rating of heic, cr3, and x3f photos.
  • Videos: The General tag, Description, Rating, and Location of videos.
2. Limitations:
  • Videos:
    • Synology Photos does not support writing General tag, Description, Date taken, and Rating edits to the original video.
  • Photos:
    • Synology Photos only supports writing General tag, Description, Rating, Photo roation, and Date taken edits to jpg, jpeg, jpe, png, and cr2 photos.
    • The General tag, Description, and Rating of heic, cr3, and x3f photos can only be edited within the package
I don’t use Photos for many similar reasons.

3. Anyway- Deployment of Exiftool to the NAS you can find here (incl. some useful examples):

Last edited:
The first hurdle would be how to get the metadata from the Photos database for all users? and then how to keep the files updated with changes from the Photos app.
I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to inject tags into your media files before adding to Synology Photos. I worked out this command as a starting point for accessing the Postgres database. I use a similar one, scripted to access and update Video Station's age classification tags.

Bash:
su -l SynologyPhotos -s /bin/bash -c "psql -A -T -U SynologyPhotos -d synofoto -c \"YOUR SQL CODE HERE\""

When run it requires your logged in admin account password to switch to the SynologyPhotos user. Change YOUR SQL CODE HERE to whatever you need, such as \dt to list the database's tables. The -A -T options were from me wanting to output basic delimited text from SELECT statements.

It seems that table unit is the starting point for file IDs.

Last edited:
Syno Photos has a lot limitations.
oooh, I must have misunderstood the KB article then. It wasnt written very well. But that is definately a problem.
-- post merged: --

su -l SynologyPhotos -s /bin/bash -c "psql -A -T -U SynologyPhotos -d synofoto -c \"YOUR SQL CODE HERE\""
Awesome, that will hopefully give me a decent starting point. Thank you.

There are other softwares out there to manage photos, but Synology Photos is so far the easiest and most familiar to use for my family.

But, without it being fully interoperable with standard metadata I know it's only a matter of time before I have a huge mess on my hands. I am trying to think ahead and find ways to organzie our photos that uses only things avaliable in standard EXIF metadata. This way no matter what program we use, everything is still organized or can atleast be found.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.