Is there anything extra I should do when planning my migration to a larger NAS?

Currently reading
Is there anything extra I should do when planning my migration to a larger NAS?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm going to be transitioning my 2Tb drives from my DS918+ to an RS1219+. I have read through synology's migration tutorials and it looks relatively simple. I'm going to make sure to backup my configuration as well as hyperbackup the whole system. I do have several questions:

1. It says to make sure both NAS are on the most current version of DSM possible. I see DSM7 beta is out Dec8. I assume I don't want to update to that and then do the migration.
2. I currently have the 4 drives in my 918+ broken up into 2 volumes: volume 1 is backup volume, consists of RAID1 of drives 1&2. Volume 2 is working volume, consists of RAID1 of drives 3&5. I've seen comments about SHR. Is it possible to change my array formatting, and if so, should I?
3. Is there anything else I need to worry about backing up before the migration? I am also running Docker containers for bitwarden & my unifi controller.

Thanks!

Solution
1. It says to make sure both NAS are on the most current version of DSM possible. I see DSM7 beta is out Dec8. I assume I don't want to update to that and then do the migration.
Avoid DSM7 for the time. Unless you are willing to drive your NAS with beta software.

Is it possible to change my array formatting, and if so, should I?
In general, it is possible but the question is should you and why? So you want SHR with how many drives? Also, you cant covert RAID to SHR, more info here: DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

So yes you can convert but you will have to destroy your current setup and start anew.

3. Is there anything else I need to worry about backing up before the migration? I am...
Avoid DSM7 for the time. Unless you are willing to drive your NAS with beta software.

Is it possible to change my array formatting, and if so, should I?
In general, it is possible but the question is should you and why? So you want SHR with how many drives? Also, you cant covert RAID to SHR, more info here: DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

So yes you can convert but you will have to destroy your current setup and start anew.

3. Is there anything else I need to worry about backing up before the migration? I am also running Docker containers for bitwarden & my unifi controller.
The main thing is to make a backup of it all. I have done many in-place migrations and none have failed. Still saying that you never know. Docker should work just fine, but if you want you can additionally export your current containers (JSON export) and have them standby just in case you need to reconfigure/repair them once the migration is done. This will allow you to import quickly and start asap. Simple import the JSON file (if needed ofc) and reconnect it to its volume and you are done.

Upvote 0
Solution
On the rs1219, the current plan was to mimic my current setup. The first 4 drives would be the exact setup from my 918+. Drives 5&6 would be 4tb raid1 and serve as my dad's off site backup. Drives 7&8 would be 6tb raid1 surveillance drives and be designated for surveillance station. I've read different suggestions to use shr, but don't know how it'd be used in my scenario. I didn't know if the four raid1 arrays is my best setup, or if there is a more flexible option that'd work better. Can I convert from raid1 to shr without losing my data?

Upvote 0
No you cant. Check the link above and the table that will show you conversion options.
I think I'll stick with my current raid setup. I'd lose my true on-site backup volume if I put the 1st 6 drives into shr. Also, I feel that having a completely isolated array for dad's off site backup keeps his true backup and also could help isolate his stuff from mine instead of muddling it all together in one big shr. Sound reasonable?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back