DSM 7.1 Is there really a need for Video Station.

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Is there really a need for Video Station.

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
OK I just used another app in my TV called VLC. It allowed me to access the NAS. I can see Folders in the NAS. It even plays VOB files!! Why would I need Video Station to play my home movies?

How are you accessing the NAS from VLC? It's probable that you are logging on to a shared folder using SMB file sharing, where VLC reads the video file across the network and plays it. Video Station comes in a server (on the NAS) and a player (on the TV, other device) and the video is streamed from the server to the client, after the client has browsed the library.

I use Plex and only have Video Station as a fallback, but haven't needed it since switching to Plex. I use these with Apple TV 4K devices.

Upvote 0
It is the classic push versus pull:

Videostation will push the contents from the nas to a device.
VLC on the TV app pulls the data via SMB from the nas.

VLC on a computer can do pull (from the nas) and than stream to the tv (Push).

Both systems can work. I do prefer the pull from the nas as we can use the tv remote to play from the NAS. Also VLC tends to have virtually all codec support.

Upvote 0
Depends on what you use it on. If you play the movies on your computer, you probably don't need it. If you play them on a mobile device, or something like an AppleTV, the video station app may be quite useful. Though to be fair, I use Plex rather than Video Station for that.
I only need to be able to access and play the home videos and see the personal Photos from the NAS on my Sony Bravia TV.
I downloaded Synology Photos in the Google store to my Sony TV but when trying to login it would not work or find my NAS.
Then I tried VLC that I already had installed and had used previously. When I opened VLC it gave me the option to browse my network and it saw my DS220+ and I was able to access my Home Folder with my home Videos and could see my other folders in the NAS as well.

I have Home movies on the NAS that I had transferred with Synology Hardrive from my PC. I also have Photos on the Synology NAS from my iPhone in Folder Mobile Backup/iPhone. I also have pictures in the PhotoLibrary Folder in the NAS.

The two DS220+ folder in the Network show up as two SMB folders. Not sure what that means? Both smb Folders are named DS220plus. Only difference is that one shows the "PLUS" in caps.
Based on your comment I downloaded Plex on the TV. It looked to me like its only for network movies and TV. Am I missing something? Is it something that will show and play my home movies and pics from the NAS?

SIDE NOTE-I also see in the Network my Printer smb, Marantz Stereo upnp, my AIR smb, MacBook Air sfp, MacBook Air smb. I have no idea what the smb, upnp, and sap mean.
Best regards

Upvote 0
SMB is the useful standard network protocol over ethernet cables, that makes devices transfer data.
UPnP is Universal plug a play, a poorly standardized and unsafe standard where devices can connect automagically, if it works. (also called plug and pray).

Upvote 0
The Marantz stereo's UPnP will be media sharing. I have Denon amps/speakers and they advertise as DLNA/UPnP speakers but also they can serve audio if they have a USB drive attached. It only works between devices on the same LAN segment.

The Media Server package on the NAS performs the same DLNA/UPnP media sharing and often TVs can be capable of connecting to this type of service. On DMS the folders that are monitored by the Indexing Service will be available via Media Server.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I just use Kodi on Amazon devices and an Nvidia Shield Pro. It's great.
fully agree. I started out with the Firestick but it can't handle 4K streaming very well so switched to the Shield Pro. The Firestick is perfect for Blu ray or DVD playback. I do like Plex, but Kodi is free.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.