Is this a one way backup? Or something else?

Currently reading
Is this a one way backup? Or something else?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi đź‘‹!

I'm new to Synology products, and am just getting to grips with how everything works, and settling into what setup would work for me. I have a DS220+ that will be dual purpose for me; backing up / supplementing the storage on my MacBook Pro, and running various node (js) servers and applications.

The first port of call is getting the backup solution working, although I'm not entirely sure that backup is the correct way to describe what I'm trying to do, so here are a few bullet points:
  • When I record video using my camera, I copy the .mov files onto my mac into /Users/me/Movies/some/folder/structure
  • Each night, I'd like to automatically copy any new video files within that folder over to the NAS.
    • Ideally I would like to be able to ignore the unchanging part of the folder structure, up to the root folder that is selected for backup, so that files are copied to the NAS with a structure like /specifiedDestinationFolder/some/folder/structure (as opposed to /specifiedDestinationFolder/Users/me/Movies/some/folder/structure
  • At some stage I may delete the .mov files from my mac to free up storage (it has a small SSD), and it is very important to me that doing so does not cause the files to also be deleted from the NAS.
Is this possible with one of the synology packages, or do I need to set up an alternative solution using a script/scheduled task on my mac, and a mapped network drive?

Thanks for any tips.

Solution
You can use Synology Drive on the NAS and Synology Drive Client on the Mac. There are two type of task that the client offers: sync, like Dropbox, can have multiple tasks of this type; backup, which you have one of these.

Use the backup task to backup the Mac, or selected folders. But this will eventually lose deleted files after the retention period has lapsed.

Use sync task type and select one-way upload when setting it up, plus files deleted on the Mac are not deleted on the NAS.
1621845965599.png
You can use Synology Drive on the NAS and Synology Drive Client on the Mac. There are two type of task that the client offers: sync, like Dropbox, can have multiple tasks of this type; backup, which you have one of these.

Use the backup task to backup the Mac, or selected folders. But this will eventually lose deleted files after the retention period has lapsed.

Use sync task type and select one-way upload when setting it up, plus files deleted on the Mac are not deleted on the NAS.
1621845965599.png

Upvote 1
Solution
Thanks @fredbert - I'll check out the sync task now. I tried the backup mode but if it's going to delete things then I'd rather not use that approach. Also backup mode kept the entire source folder structure including parent folders which I wasn't a fan of.

**EDIT:** the sync task is exactly what I wanted, thanks!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.