Issue with iDrive after updating my DS1520+ to DSM7.1.1-42962

NAS
DS218, DS212+,DS212,DS210j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Morning All,

I use iDrive to backup my 1520. This morning, I updated it to DSM 7.1.1-42962. The update seemed to go well. I can logon and access the 1520 w/o any problem. I then logged on to iDrive to continue my backup. Unfortunately, when I attempted to logon to iDrive (after the DSM update), I get a couple of error messages. The first is "
Host name not recognized". This message will go away and then I get the message "Authenticate your synology device". I try to use my normal id and pw but this does not work. Any idea why iDrive is doing this after the DSM update? Any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks,
Harold

Lately there has been many reports of iDrive issues after updates. I have a couple months left on my subscription and will be canceling due to their inability to keep on top of updates. Each time this has happened to me they had to remote into my NAS and poke in the scripts to fix it. Then the next update the same, it's just not worth the risk of not being able to determine if you have good backups.

Thanks for the info. I think I will jettison iDrive. Any suggestions for who/what to use for backup cloud backup of my Synology? I have tried BackBlaze and am not a fan of them either.
Harold

From a cost per TB of storage iDrive E2 storage seems to have the lowest price works with HyperBackup. One advantage of using HyerperBackup with S3 buckets is that you have lots of options for backup zones.

The legacy iDrive service on Synolgoy doesn't backup setting of application you may have but the HyperBackup app will backup application settings in addition to your NAS files. The last time I had an issue with iDrive legacy I setup an account on their e2 and did a parallel backup and it's been working fine for the last 5 months. iDrive is a love / hate service. The native has issues but their E2 seems to make up for that.

I looked at C2 by Synolgoy but the cost of their service was prohibitive for me.

RonV42,
Thanks for the info. As I understand it, I can use Synology Hyperbackup and iDrive E2 together. I have three Synology drives (1520+, 220+, and 218+). The most critical is my 1520, but I would also like to have a cloud back of all three. Together, I have in excess of 15 TB of info to backup. How does Hyperbackup work better than iDrive (legacy?)? I continually have problems with iDrive stopping after 5-6 TB and then I have to start all over again.
Harold

Hyperbackup works well because it not only backs up the shared folders but also if you configure it to backup applications their configuration data is also stored and can be recovered. In E2 you create a new "bucket" in a region that you prefer, usually closer to the NAS location is preferred along with the credentials, then on Synology you create a new S2 backup, suggest you make your own private keys for encryption, set the destination and enter the key that you setup on E2 and you now have a destination in E2.

I had about 4 TB to backup and I didn't want to wait for a week for the backup to successfully finish so I selected apps and their data a few at a time let it run and then started to select NAS folders and let the backup complete. After a week the 4 TB's was in the cloud and the backup runs every night for about 20 minutes with changes.

One thing I noticed that I never get the "no route to host" errors when using E2 and Hyperbackup, 3 to 4 times a month with legacy iDrive I get that error message and have to manually run the backup again.

It's pretty simple. Here is link:

I was thinking of using my iDrive account on DS920+ but now I have second thoughts. What to use instead? A second NAS or what?

Found this post having had exactly the same issue as described. (Update on DS920+)

Needed to update the permissions (right-mouse click > Properties & add a full access Permission for my account) I had for editing the path.php file, but once that was done, and I was able to save changes to the file.

Inserting the $nasURL = "http://127.0.0.1:5000/"; code at the proscribed line (1501) , saved the file, rebooted and all is well.

I just found that iDrive updated to a newer version today (10/28) however neither of them will install on my 920+. The universal one says that it's an invalid file format and the one specific to the 920+ says that it needs Version DSM 7.0-40000 or OLDER to install. The new version is 2.05.04. Now if I can get it to install we can see if it works. I opened a ticket with iDrive as well.

Synology Version: 2.05.04 [ Released on 10/28/2022 ]
  • Dependency on ping service has been removed.
  • Share functionality has been discontinued.
  • Fixed Login issue with DSM 7 latest versions.
  • Fixed issues with network disconnect for restore operation.

I tried the same download/installation (on my DS1520+) as NASJ (10/29/22) and got the same results.
I have a remote session set up with iDrive tech this coming Monday (10/31/22) to see if they can resolve my issue. Will report the results here.
Harold

I noticed after my post that the iDrive web site stated that for DSM 7 the install had to be done through the package center. No clue why then they would post an update on their web site that can't be used. We shall see how long it takes them to update with the new package via the package center and if it's a real fix.

Hey.. I got this from iDrive earlier today. Haven't had a chance to test. There is an attached .ZIP file that needs to be opened first. Here's what they sent to me:

---------------------------------------------------
We are sorry for the issue you are encountering. This issue is caused due to the latest DSM version 7.1 which was recently released by Synology.

We are in continuous communication with the Synology team to provide a fix for this issue to all our DSM 7.1 users.

As we are dependent on the Synology team for this fix it may take more than usual time to get the fix ready.

Also DSM 7 and above do not support manual package installation for users, so we are unable to release any quick package to our release page with some workaround.

Even once the fix is ready, it has to go through the Synology verification process before the package gets available to all users via the Package Center.

So in order to provide you with a quick fix, we are sharing a few steps to follow:
  • Download the attached file and upload it to your NAS device.
  • Click on Task Scheduler.
  • Click on Create ---> Scheduled Task ---> User-defined Script
  • Under Task Settings --> Run command, User-defined Scripts section write the following command:
php {FILE_PATH} {HTTP_PORT}
where
{FILE_PATH}: Go to "File Station" and right-click on uploaded file --> properties. Copy the Location.
{HTTP_PORT}: Go to control panel --> Login Portal. Copy value of DSM Port(HTTP)

• Click on OK.
  • In the task list, right-click on the task and Run.
  • Go to the IDrive App and verify the login. Once the login is fine, delete the task created as below.
  • Go to Task Scheduler, right click and delete the task from the Task List.

Example:
{FILE_PATH}:/var/services/web_packages/IDrive/hostNameIssueFix.php
{HTTP_PORT}: 5000

Command:
php /var/services/web_packages/IDrive/hostNameIssueFix.php 5000

Thanks,
Your IDrive Support Team

Attachments

• hostNameIssueFix.zip
    508 bytes · Views: 118
I made the modifications as suggested. Although I can now reach the "Authenticate your Synology device" page as before, once authenticated I get a second page stating that I've been "redirected too many times" and to "clear my cookies" (which does nothing). The only thing that I have enabled on my Synology NAS is 2FA and I'm curious if this might be causing the additional issue. Does anyone else have 2FA enabled, and if so, does this work around work for you?

I just ran the fix on my 920+ and it worked like a charm. I do not have 2FA enabled for the account I was using. You might want to try disabling 2FA then applying the fix then enabling it again.

Thanks for your reply. I disabled the 2FA and I'm still having the same issue: "Too many redirects." I think I'll wait for the official release. This error doesn't seem to affect my existing backup job, just the ability to modify it.

I just ran the fix on my 920+
No offense to anyone here, but you should never run a patch that was posted by a random user. This is how nightmares begin.
Over at the "community", user posting of patches and links to patches, is not permitted (posts which do so are either edited, or deleted).

If you need an iDrive patch, go to the source. Even the poster made no claim for its effectiveness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.