Currently reading
Issues migrating Unifi Controler to syno NAS

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I'm still struggling to iron out a couple of network issues. Currently I have 2 separate sites with 2 separate controllers. I want to migrate site 2 to over to the same controller as site 1. Below are current setups:

Site 1:
USG Pro-4
USW 24POE
Controller hosted on Syno RS1219+

Site 2:
USG
USW-Flex Mini
Controller is hosted on a laptop that does not stay on site. I want to migrate this Site 2 to Site 1. However, when I have tried to follow the process outlined in the following link, I always receive an error saying something like "There was an error importing the file", and the site migration fails. UniFi - Migrating Sites with Site Export Wizard

I have working internet at both sites. However, from Site 2, I can only access my NAS via reverse proxy when I am not on the Site 2 network; I need to be running my laptop off of my phone's hotspot in order to access my NAS. I can access pretty much any other website I want from the Site 2 network, but not my NAS RP. I'm assuming that there is some sort of weird outbound firewall rule on my Site 2 router that I don't understand, but I can't find it. The only rules in my Firewall are the 2 default rules that I cannot modify.

The weird thing is that, while on the Site 2 network, I can access my Site 1 controller via the network.unifi.ui website. So, I can access the Unifi controller that is hosted on my NAS while on Site 2 network, but I can't access the NAS DSM directly.

I have tried completely disabling my NAS firewall (but not the Site 1 unifi firewall), and it didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? @jeyare, if you have any advice I'd sure appreciate it.

Below are some network setting screenshots. If there is a particular firewall setup you want to see let me know.

Site 1 Port forwarding rules. Note that TheRack2 was originally forwarded to 192.168.1.50:3478. I changed it to 8443 because that is where my controller is hosted at. I don't know if that was the correct thing to do or not, but it didn't make any difference in fixing the import error.
1617122933464.png

Site 2 Firewall:
1617123012504.png

Solution
I finally found a resolution to this. It turns out that both sites were on the same subnet at my ISP, and for whatever reason the ISP blocked traffic between subnet IP's, even though they claimed there weren't any firewall rules preventing such traffic.

We discovered this issue because while I could send an internet-generated ping from one site to another using a site like ping.eu, we could not ping directly from one site to another using command line pings. Their resolution was to offer me a static IP on a different subnet for my home IP for free (saved me $10/mo, yay!). Once I did this I was finally able to follow the basic site export/import and everything showed up like it was supposed to on my NAS-hosted controller.
Last edited:
I finally found a resolution to this. It turns out that both sites were on the same subnet at my ISP, and for whatever reason the ISP blocked traffic between subnet IP's, even though they claimed there weren't any firewall rules preventing such traffic.

We discovered this issue because while I could send an internet-generated ping from one site to another using a site like ping.eu, we could not ping directly from one site to another using command line pings. Their resolution was to offer me a static IP on a different subnet for my home IP for free (saved me $10/mo, yay!). Once I did this I was finally able to follow the basic site export/import and everything showed up like it was supposed to on my NAS-hosted controller.

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.