Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using my DS211j as a backup device with two Seagate HDD (ST32000644NS), each 1.8 TB in size, configured as JBOD.
Currently only used about 900 GB. Now, DSM reports that one of those harddisks is critical.

Can I simply remove the faulty one and run the DS with the remaining one or will I loose all data?
Is the use storage space randomly used so I cannot remove any of those drives w/o destroying file structures?

Michael

Considering its JBOD you have 1 option. Backup everything you can. The moment you replace the drive you will have to reconstruct the whole thing. Backup, replace and restore. Having a nearly 4TB of space across 2 HDDs is risky. Luclky you have 900 of data there. Try and back it up (whats really important) and then consider making a RAID1 array if you want to maintain usage in case another drive fails.

Can I simply remove the faulty one and run the DS with the remaining one or will I loose all data?
Since you will be rebuilding your entire backup, consider RAID0 over JBOD as your disks are the same size. It won't prevent disk failure, but write speed is much improved. FWIW, I use RAID0 for backup (critical stuff is also on 3rd party cloud).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back