Currently reading
kerberos server on diskstation

NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My network is extremely simple, having a few clients, a DiskStation, and a VM on the DiskStation. Advanced features of file sharing, including SMB/CIFS and NFS, largely depend on the availability of Kerberos, and so I am trying to understand how I might add Kerberos without adding any hardware. For brevity, and because my knowledge of the Kerberos architecture and operation is still limited, I will use the term "Kerberos server" to refer to all software components that must be available in a minimal Kerberos deployment, other than LDAP, a file sharing service, and clients.

DSM appears to be able to communicate with a Kerberos server after importing a key database. It also provides LDAP service through an extension package. Support for operating a Kerberos server, however, appears not to be available as either a builtin feature or through an extension package. Running a Kerberos server on a DiskStation appears not to be a common use case. What is the easiest way to do it, if someone were determined? I suppose that running in a VM on the DiskStation is possible in principle, but a much heavier option than I would prefer.

I am bumping this topic, in case anyone having useful suggestions or ideas may be led to write a post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.