NAS
DS918+, DS414j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My Virtual Machine reports it's using a Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor, I'm using vmvga but have tried the alternatives.
Kodi 18 loads to a black screen.
Is there any way to update the graphics card so it'll work?

My Virtual Machine reports it's using a Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor, I'm using vmvga but have tried the alternatives.
Kodi 18 loads to a black screen.
Is there any way to update the graphics card so it'll work?
Have you installed VMTools?

VMTools is VMware specific. I've used the virtio 1.71 and tried 1.73 with no change. I did try to "brute force" install a driver but that ended with me having to rebuild the machine. Of note. I'm using a 918+ :D

Win 10 x64. Release 2004 but has been the same with 1903 and 1909... No issue with a sanity check. :) I work in IT sanity checks are always good!

Win 10 x64. Release 2004 but has been the same with 1903 and 1909... No issue with a sanity check. :) I work in IT sanity checks are always good!
No disrespect but many say they work in IT nowadays and still have no clue what they are talking about. Considering that you are not giving enough info of the bat, one has to ask you some basic things.

Sorry, not quite sure what info to give off the bat without confusing matters with irrelivant info. I deal with so many support issues where the info supplied is in fact completely useless and hinders the resolution.

Last edited:
But then it should have installed the QXL graphic driver as well. The Synology Guest additions are more then just the virtio drivers. Never mind, it seems Synologies wrapped KVM installation called VMM does not support everything a normal KVM2 installation does,

No, I got that, and when I tried to install the QXL driver that is what caused me to have to rebuild the machine. I did wonder if there might be something in the VMTools which would work.

just curious, what is the added value of KODI player installed on VM/Syno environment? Clone KODI conf. to another instance? Or you need solve pass-trough issues in some OS/HW?

Then there is another question, why W10, when Linux platform is better for this kind of setup (cost, simple, operation). E.g. LibreElec + VMM (ova files extension)

Note:
I can take point, that KODI needs MySQL for media shared library. But you don't need KODI in VM for such shared library, just MSQL Docker container. Then just
Code:
advancedsettings.xml
edited in each KODI player connected.

Win10. As that's what I'm using for my remotely connectable server with a few bits of software which are windows only.

All my android boxes are using advancedsettings to point them at the database. It's just having the remote access and ability to trigger a library update as well as artworkbeef to try to keep everything pretty. :)

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to do it better.

That does indeed sound interesting. I'll have a look at that over the next week. Thank you. I'll also have to have a look and see if I can get Artwork Beef to install and work as I use that to update the missing artwork.

So, got it up and running, and it would appear I may have managed to get Artwork Beef working as well. I've also added Auto Library Update so will let you know how it progresses. :)

@ancientbrit might I ask how you're triggering the updates? I've tried auto library update which didn't work. Added Watchdog by copying the service.watchdog to the addons and the addon_data (from a configured standard Kodi install) then enabled it in the addons section of the headless. Neither seem to trigger an update (both tested seperately). I can see it's seeing the database and that when I trigger the update elsewhere it's also seeing the changes.

Sorry for the silence. I thought I had this forum set to email me.... Must check.(*)

I created a file on the diskstation with the command to start the library update remotely. I schedule the command to run daily through Diskstation's Task Scheduler:
Code:
curl --data-binary '{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan", "id": "mybash"}' -H 'content-type: application/json;' http://192.168.1.53:8280/jsonrpc
In my case I am running kodi in docker with its internal port 8080 mapped to the external port 8280
Source for the command is the kodi wiki

* Ah! Fixed!

Thanks ancientbrit. I'll see about modifying your script, it might at least get my Kodi updating automatically.
However it doesn't explain why I can't install the graphics drivers without completely destroying my VM (I tried again with the 1.83 and 1.85 driver disks as well as attempting it with the latest VMTools extracted (just to see if I could get it working). The VM does a hard lockup when I install the graphics drivers and I have to restore to a snapshot. I've tried all available graphics card options and they all do the same. I'm running a DS918+ in case it's a known issue with them..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.