Latest Seagate Exos X advise

NAS
DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm thinking of adding a DX517 Expansion Unit to my DS1821+ currently using 8 x 16TB Seagate EXOS ST16000NM001G (These are no longer available on amazon)
I read somewhere the drives on the DX517 Expansion Unit must be the same size or smaller than the host NAS DS1821+

My plan is to buy some bigger Seagate Exos X20 or X22's add these to the DS1821+ 1 at a time expanding the volume Probably take a week
Then use the 16TB in the DX517
I can't find anywhere if these big Exos X drive are compactable

This post and other posts are helpful but 4 years old

The compatibility pages on the Synology website are only listing Synology HDD's nor can I find the Not compatible list mentioned elsewhere
It says
Always use and manage 4K native (4Kn) hard drives separately.
4Kn hard drives are supported from DSM 5.1-5021. Use 4Kn hard drives separately from hard drives in other disk sector formats when creating, repairing, expanding and migrating any volume, disk group, RAID group and LUN.

I've checked the Data sheets for Exos HDD's 4Kn Sector Size (Bytes per Sector) for SATA 6GB/s is 4096

Not sure I have the budget to purchase a DX517 and 5 x 20TB / 22TB HDD's in one go considering to buy the + 2 HDD's then 3 more later

I'm running the latest DSM 7.??

Can someone advise on the compatibility on these big HDD's

Also are the retrieval / read rates slower from the Expansion unit than the mail unit?

I had intended to create a separate storage pool on the DX the thought of spanning across hardware never occurred to me

Are those bigger drives compactable is my main concern?

found volume size limitation is 108TB if my calculations are correct Adding bigger HDD's to the host DS1821+ would at some point exceed this limit suggesting I'd need two volumes on the host
Quick & dirty maths host DS1821+
8 drives - 1 redundancy = 7 * 18TB - 10% totals ~113TB
7 * 20TB - 10% totals ~ 120TB
I'm using SHR RAID with 1 disk redundancy
Getting confused would that mean 2 separate RAIDs?

Where as the DX517 holds 5HDD's
4 * 22TB - 10% ~ 79.2 TB

Upvote 0
I believe it means you can't create a single volume bigger than 108TB. If your array winds up as 500TB when all 8 bays are filled (no redundancy), you need to carve out at least 5 volumes (500 / 108 = 4.6).

Upvote 0
I believe it means you can't create a single volume bigger than 108TB. If your array winds up as 500TB when all 8 bays are filled (no redundancy), you need to carve out at least 5 volumes (500 / 108 = 4.6).
500TB NAS that would be nice :)

Apart from the volume size not exceeding 108TB are there any HDD size / compatibility issues?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.