User introduction Lazy engineer looking for easy answers and free advice

Currently reading
User introduction Lazy engineer looking for easy answers and free advice

Hi all,
I divide my time between the USA and Eastern Europe. More often I'm getting locked out of banking and other websites in the US and the commercial VPNs I was using are getting rejected as well now. I tried to use a Raspberry Pi VPN server in the USA house to create a remote presence there. That worked but I don't have the time or patience to spend keeping Linux and associated apps updated and configured. So I'm looking for a box that works.

My objectives:
- Remote VPN so I can connect via home IP address.
- Family server so remote family members can share files.
- Automatic backup of critical files - family photos and videos.
- Easy configuration and fool proof handling of dynamic DNS - don't mind paying for a service
- Other things would be just nice to have like email addresses, automatic photo libraries, etc
- Cost is not a huge concern.

I settled on Synology because it seems easiest to set up and finding this forum sealed the deal. My thinking is to put a unit in the house in the US and another in the house in Europe. Neither would have static IP. I would put critical files on both as well as have them backed up to a cloud service like Google Drive. The other files would just get local backups.

I'm looking at a DS720+ for one site (main file server) and a DS220+ (VPN and critical file backup) for the US.

Any thoughts, advice, warnings? I was hoping to find a WireGuard option for the VPN but it doesn't look like that is available yet. I want solutions that work out of the box - I can do the technical work but I'm not looking for a second career - I don't want to have to update packages more than once a month or deal with security certificates etc.

Welcome to the forum.

The list of wishes is reasonable compared to the models you have set on. You can configure all of the above with no problem at all.

I was hoping to find a WireGuard option for the VPN
out of the box, there is no support but you can run docker on those models (+ models) and then you can run wireguard container inside it (as well as many other apps/services that are not native).

- Cost is not a huge concern.
I'm looking at a DS720+ for one site (main file server) and a DS220+ (VPN and critical file backup) for the US.
Both are capable devices, I have the DS218+ predecessor of the DS220+.

But I wonder if a bit of extra contingency would be useful if you are travelling and a disk starts failing. Bumping up to the DS920+ and DS420+ allows space to have a spare disk in the NAS that can be enabled as a hot spare, plus a spare bay for a third disk for expanding the array later. Basically, four bays have more options for disk configuration than two.

Hello...I utilize the included RealVNC for one explanation - it works.
Interestingly, by pursuing the free web account you don't need to open any ports in your switch however can access up to five Pi PCs from anyplace with web association (well U.K. wide in any event)
It has its idiosyncrasies (signing on utilizing duplicate/glue being an issue today) and others are quicker yet I've utilized it at home and expertly for a long time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back