Leave VPN Plus on iOS connected all the time?

Currently reading
Leave VPN Plus on iOS connected all the time?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1019+, DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
While I'm away from home I often use VPN Plus on my phone to connect back home to various services via a VPN running on SRM.

While I'm out I connect to the VPN, then disconnect once I'm done, but every now and then forget to disconnect and will notice it's still connected a few hours later.

And now I'm wondering if there's any harm in just leaving VPN Plus on my phone connected all the time? I'm not worried about battery life, just wondering if it could cause any problems with other apps, my regular internet connection on my phone, or anything like that?

You may want to test using CheckIP, or such sites, which IP you are using when on the Internet when accessing non-home destinations. Off the top of my head I can't remember if all, or any, of the VPN services force all traffic down the tunnel to home or if they use split-tunnelling (only home LAN IP destinations go down the tunnel).

I know I set OpenVPN's config (or is it in the iOS app?) to force everything down the tunnel as this is the safest method to protect from public WiFi.

I'll look at that, thanks.

I know that (like you) if I use the OpenVPN iOS app that I can force all traffic to go through my home internet connection by specifying it in the .ovpn file. So I have one that connects through home and another that just uses my phone's network connection. I don't often use public wifi while I'm out though, I mainly use 4G from my network

I don't know about the VPN Plus server app, so I might use the OpenVPN app instead.

In general there will be no problem even if you are tunneled all the time. The only “problem” is if your are tunneled all the time and arrive “home” then your requests are leaving the house and coming back in again. Also the vpn speed might be an overhead in such situations when you would use a local communication instead.

In general there will be no problem even if you are tunneled all the time. The only “problem” is if your are tunneled all the time and arrive “home” then your requests are leaving the house and coming back in again. Also the vpn speed might be an overhead in such situations when you would use a local communication instead.
Right, good point.

So I could turn it on when I go out, leave it on all the time while I'm out, then turn it off when I get home (if I can remember!) (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.