LG TV media app. ignores all access restrictions

Currently reading
LG TV media app. ignores all access restrictions

NAS
DS216j
Operating system
  1. Windows
My new LG TV automatically found my Diskstation on my local network. This now allows anyone to see any photos or videos, regardless of any access permissions that have been set. At no time have I ever been asked for any user ID or password for the Diskstation.

I can't find any way of fixing this. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Diskstation inherently insecure as a media server ?

I've also found it is remarkably easy to circumvent file permissions just using Windows explorer (in a particular way). Security settings only seem to be applied correctly when logging in via the web interface. This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Yes. Installed and running.
that’s the problem. You will not be able to config any permissions when it comes to pure dlna protocol that runs behind that Media Server package.

would recommend some media platform for more control such as Plex, Video Station or Emby

Upvote 0
I think I understand now. Media player will show anything in the photos, video or music folders, regardless of any access permissions. So any sensitive media files need to be stored in the file manager. Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Actually Media Server does have some access control. It probably is currently set to permit any new MAC addresses (i.e. devices) to access it. But you can set this to not allowed. Then you have to edit the list of devices and disable the ones you want to block.

Check the built in Help ‘?’ from within Media Server.

I’m not sure other DLNA/UPnP servers have better access control.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back