linked with Alexa but no sound

Currently reading
linked with Alexa but no sound

NAS
DS216j
Hi All
Happily installed and set up Audio station skill in ALexa.... ,no problems setting up at all, logged in no problem and on giving commands I can see in teh Alexa app that 'x songs were found matching' etc. ... however, no music actually comes out of the speaker!?! Is there something I've missed?

Last edited:
Same issue here. Is the Audio Station skill on Alexa working for anyone currently?
-- post merged: --

Never mind, figured it out- in my case, the Alexa Dot had to be on the main (not guest) Wifi on my Synology 2600ac. On the "guest" network, I got the same symptoms as haverer.

Same issue here. Is the Audio Station skill on Alexa working for anyone currently?

Never mind, figured it out- in my case, the Alexa Dot had to be on the main (not guest) Wifi on my Synology 2600ac. On the "guest" network, I got the same symptoms as haverer.

So it's working for you now? I have my devices all on the same network, so don't know why my dot wouldn't be able to play to my dot.

Yes, it's working fine for me. This may sound idiotic, but try power cycling the Dot.
Hummmmmm. I've tried on 4 different dots .. same each time.... Alexa app shows the number of songs found, but nothing actually plays. I wonder what the problem is.

This is what I get when saying
Alexa ask audio station to play music by Michael Jackson it's obviously working to a point as the number of songs for is reported in alexa, but it won't stream any... Any ideas??

Screenshot_20220106-125751_Amazon Alexa.jpg

I have tried everything I can think of to duplicate your symptoms: Denied Audiostation application permission for the music folder; denied the Audiostation user account permission for the music folder; screwed up the SSL configuration so that the certificate doesn't match the domain name used by Alexa; etc. The ONLY way I've been able to duplicate what you're experiencing is to have the Alexa client device on the guest SSID while the NAS is not. When my phone is on the guest SSID, it can't even ping the NAS running Audio Station. Which kind of suggests that if you can't ping the NAS from the Alexa client, it won't work. So if one of your Alexa clients is your phone, try pinging your NAS from your phone while the phone is connected to your LAN. If it won't ping, you have a network issue to sort out. Possibly the NAS is connected by ethernet and your other devices are wireless and you have your router set to isolate wired from wireless clients? Or you have the NAS firewall set to deny connections from other devices on your LAN? Just a guess.

Thanks very much for your reply.... Really Great suggestions. My Nas is indeed hard wired, but I've no problem pinging it from wireless devices... I connect to it wirelessly all the time. I'm using ubiquity wi-fi devices, I'll try and connect an Alexa device to the router wi-fi directly later and see if that works for and strange reason. That's again for all the suggestions and time you've taken.

Just connected a dot directly to the router wi-fi. No difference at all... Alexa app shows the number of songs found in audio station, but nothing plays.
The dot was completely reset for this test

The Nas plugs into an hp pro curve switch, which the router also plugs into

The router is the one that came from my internet provider. Vodafone wi-fi hub..... Firmware 19.2.2307-3261013

No. IP4 thanks for all the suggestions by the way.
I can access my Nas remotely, security camera remotely, web server remotely. No problems there at all

Last edited:
Has anyone figured this out yet? I will add that if I run alexa on my iPhone it plays the album and displays “36 Songs were found matching” but if I say the same thing on my Alexa Show it just says “36 Songs were found matching” and no sound.

I will note… all this talk of about internal network config as the cause is a moot point. Audio Station sits on your NAS and Alexa is in the cloud. When you link Alexa to the Audio Station Skill you are configuring the access to get songs from the internet to your NAS. When you ask Alexa to play something it reaches in and gets it. The Dot or Show do not connect directly to your NAS. The Dot and Show could be anywhere in the world as long as they have enough internet connectivity. A successful link between Audio Station and Alexa is all that should be required.

That person with a guest network issue has Something wrong with his guest Wi-Fi.

Has anyone figured this out yet? I will add that if I run alexa on my iPhone it plays the album and displays “36 Songs were found matching” but if I say the same thing on my Alexa Show it just says “36 Songs were found matching” and no sound.

I will note… all this talk of about internal network config as the cause is a moot point. Audio Station sits on your NAS and Alexa is in the cloud. When you link Alexa to the Audio Station Skill you are configuring the access to get songs from the internet to your NAS. When you ask Alexa to play something it reaches in and gets it. The Dot or Show do not connect directly to your NAS. The Dot and Show could be anywhere in the world as long as they have enough internet connectivity. A successful link between Audio Station and Alexa is all that should be required.

That person with a guest network issue has Something wrong with his guest Wi-Fi.

Agree with what you say the networking.
Nope.... Didn't solve the issue on my system.... Still does exactly the same and it's really annoying. All I want to do is ask to play music that I own locally... It's a joke. Loads of Sonos and alexa kit and it can't even do that. Grrrrrr

Last edited:
Also…. The Audio Station skill thinks it is playing… I asked what it playing and it told me the first song of the album (it was silent).

Do I reset my Alexa? I did that last month for another reason.

Also…. The Audio Station skill thinks it is playing… I asked what it playing and it told me the first song of the album (it was silent).

And I could ask audid station to go to the next song. Upon asking.. it thinks it is playing the next song.

Resetting didn’t help… :(

iPad Alexa app good like iPhone too…

And I could ask audid station to go to the next song. Upon asking.. it thinks it is playing the next song.

Resetting didn’t help… :(

iPad Alexa app good like iPhone too…
I reset my devices several times too... It wasn't that....
I turned my pihole off in case that was the issue, but no.... I've really no idea why it works for some apparently

Still having this issue, but found that if I use the alexa app on 4G it serves up the song straight away and plays it... switch to LAN and it won't play... says the number of songs found, but no music plays. Something to do with not being able to access the synology url from the LAN? Have to use an IP address internally... but then amazon won't link because that's external.

I've now set up synology DNS server and can access my synology nas via https at the same address as I can from outside teh network.... however Audio Station will still only show the results when I ask it to play a song from the LAN. If I connect to a neighbour's wifi then it also plays the song.... really irritating... can't work out what might be stopping it... any ideas!?!

Hi,

New to the forum and this is my first post so hopefully it will be of help. I had this same issue on my DS418Play and contacted Synology customer support in back in 2020. After trying multiple things to get it sorted, I was referred to the Taiwan Team who sent me the following details:

When you setup Alexa, you will need to insert a domain FQDN/WAN URL for Alexa to reach, if your router does not support NAT loop back, then this could cause similar issue.

If you could help us go to a PC that located in same network as your DS, then open a browser, can you insert the Domain URL you insert on Audio Station Alexa setting, see if you can try use WAN URL from a local device to connect to another local device? if this failed, then it means the router does not support NAT loop back.

UzcXev8PZerPFLCfZV4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I was unable to access the page through my laptop using the URL that was noted in the hostname field as directed above. I could however access it through my phone on my mobile network - i.e. not connected to the home wifi. I let the support know and this was the response I was given.

If NAT loopback is not supported unfortunately it would be a case were we would not be able to assist anymore as this is needed in order for the amazon Alexa to work correctly with the NAS.

This is because Amazon servers provides the Alexa with a FQDN address for streaming the music, so if the Alexa can't access NAS with FQDN(DDNS) address, there will be no music.

Therefore, it may seem like you have the same problem as I do and have a router that doesnt support NAT Loopback. It may however be a feature you can enable on your router if you log into the admin area. It isn't something I could enable on mine so I have not been able to get this working while still on my broadband supplied router. I am however changing supplier soon, now that my contract has expired. Once a new router is delivered I will once again try to get this to work and will let you know the results.

I hope this was of some use :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.