Currently reading
Linking domain to web site or forum hosted on the NAS

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
This is something I’ve been wondering for a while.

Assume my domain is my domain.com, I’ve been accessing the forum by creating a CNAME DNS entry to create a subdomain like my forum.domain.com. I’ve then being pointing forum.domain.com to either qcid.synology.me or qcid.direct.quickconnect.to. Whereby qcid is my quick connect ID. The first is what I’d been using but it started failing today so I had to switch to the second option.

So the question is ….. is what I’m doing the right way of getting to the hosted forum? I cant see any other way as I need to use Synology DDNS to get to the NAS.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

This is something I’ve been wondering for a while.

Assume my domain is my domain.com, I’ve been accessing the forum by creating a CNAME DNS entry to create a subdomain like my forum.domain.com. I’ve then being pointing forum.domain.com to either qcid.synology.me or qcid.direct.quickconnect.to. Whereby qcid is my quick connect ID. The first is what I’d been using but it started failing today so I had to switch to the second option.

So the question is ….. is what I’m doing the right way of getting to the hosted forum? I cant see any other way as I need to use Synology DDNS to get to the NAS.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Hello,

I think the cleaner way to do so (access your forum from outside using <forum.domain.com>) is to sync your public IP to your registered domain (DDNS sync ?) then in Syno RP redirect all requests for <forum.domain.com> to <nas local IP:port>.

This will allow to skip any steps in between like redirecting to syno DDNS wich will redirect to your NAS ... It's one potential point of failure :) removed from the equation.

Upvote 0
Looking at my Synology DDNS address and both the direct and original QC addresses I see that Syno DDNS and QC direct resolve to my ISP WAN IP, but the original QC address doesn't (it is first mediated by Synology QC servers).

If QC direct is working then pointing the CNAME to that should work, it's only a way to get the IP address.

Your alternative is to register your domain for DDNS and use [a working DDNS agent] to update it.

Upvote 0
Ref the first option mentioned by @Shoop i can’t see how one would set that up? I may be missing the obvious there. How would one set up DDNS sync?
Ref the second option from @fredbert then yeah I’ll stick with QC direct for the moment. The domain itself is controlled my Microsoft domain controllers and used for Office 365 so I don’t think I can register it for DDNS. Plus it does not work round the blasted DNS / DDNS issue I’m suffering with DSM 7.

Upvote 0
Ref the first option mentioned by @Shoop i can’t see how one would set that up? I may be missing the obvious there. How would one set up DDNS sync?
You can find here from the Syno KB the details on how to sync DDNS (auto update the IP where your domain is pointing). It is only useful if your public IP changes (some ISPs do not provide fixed public IP so your Ip may change every 24h or 1 week). If it does never change then you can point your domain directly to your public IP and you will only need to configure the RP and of course redirect the incoming traffic on your router to the RP.

Depending on where you have registered your domain, there may be an option to auto update the IP periodically and Synology allows you to do so as described in the linked KB. If your domain name provider does not appear in the default dropdown list provided by in DSM but allows DDNS update/sync then you can setup a custom service based on your domain name provider. This process is also described in the KB.

Hope it helps

Upvote 0
Right I’m with you now. I’ll take a look to see if I can get it to work with subdomain.domain.com and DDNS with Dynu if I can at least it might make things easier than at the moment where my registrar is pointed at the Microsoft nameservers. If I can use the registrar to use DDNS in parallel with the name servers that could indeed be useful

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.