Currently reading
Live view shows grey screen for each camera

NAS
DS218
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hope someone can help please. I have a DS218 and I have 4 Hikvision IP cameras that are found are displayed correctly with the SS under IP Cam and Timeline. However none of them can be viewed under Live View either within the web app or the SS client (each camera shows a grey screen). Under Live View I see that the stream is controlled by the camera and this is greyed out so I cannot change it. I haven't changed anything within the camera settings so all look like normal default settings (i.e .264 etc).

Can anyone tell me what setting I may need to alter either within the cameras web access, the SS web access or the DSM itself :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm using 2x Hikvision 2SD2042WD-1 cameras with each NAS I own (Used to be 3, but now just 2), and view them with DS CAM on multiple phones of multiple types... (By the way, I have no DVR, just multiple loose cameras ftp'ing pix to NAS, and also -- video being made (in SS) via camera IP Stream, seen by DS CAM)
I do no port forwarding through router at all. NONE. And it all auto-magically works! It's one of my favorite features!
Are you saying you cannot access cameras: Locally on LAN, or just don't see them Remotely..... (On someone else's WIFI or Phone Data?

I'm using QuickConnnect login for DS CAM, though limiting what can be seen as live pix only... Have connected from multiple countries, back to my cameras at home... Pretty much flawlessly... Even on a 215J NAS... which is older than yours...

There are things in Hikvision camera's firmware settings that can cause issues... Tell me more... Firmware current in cams? I think You say you connect -- but get grey screen.... not a camera pix... Sounds like format of video being sent -- doesn't match format of display APP can resolve, so it mutes.... Check settings. I'm doing 1920x1080/30 (In USA here -- Europe is 25 fps).

Hi. Not sure what more I can say. I'm talking web access via any browser (windows 11) and the client. Everything works other than live view. I'm on my home network so port forwarding isn't the issue. DS cam works fine.

Last edited:
I have never used the SS Client..... For Windows.... so I installed it... W7-64 on this laptop, NVidia 1080 Display...
No problems displaying cameras in Live View... and it called up older video captured in Timeline also...
As alluded before, I don't believe you are properly set up yet.... (718+ & 720+ NAS... I gave away my 215J to Daughter and Son-in-Law)
-- post merged: --

Just to be certain it has nothing to do with laptop screen resolution, installed SS Client on old Core 2 W7-64 running an Intel 1440x900 display... Works fine there, too... It's settings

Last edited:
here is pix of settings I'm using as seen by SS Client in Windows
CAMERA PIX 1.jpg

CAMERA PIX 2.jpg

CAMERA PIX 3.jpg

Note... Login and Password are for Camera, not NAS
PS: NAS (SS) is running 6.2.4 Update 4, not V7
Was not able to determine which version of SS is installed... closest I got was 12-19-2021 ??
HAPPY HUNTING!

Ok thanks. My settings are the same. I'm on 7.0. It has to be a simple setting so will keep trying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.