Local backup of very large shared folders - looking for options

Currently reading
Local backup of very large shared folders - looking for options

How would you go about backing up a 30 TB shared folder to local USB drives. Can you attach multiple USB drives and have them act as a set? I am converting many of my clients from Mac servers to Synology, we use BackBlaze B2 for cloud backup, but I don't have a handle on how to run a local backup of a very large data set.

One option would be to use USB drives and use HB tool to backup with multiple tasks/sets. Each task on a different drive.

If this is a one-time migration or? From what was said so far not sure I get where the data is now and where is it going. Are you moving data from mac servers to Syno or what?

I am specing the system now. Moving the data from the old server to NAS will be done over the network. The cloning tool Carbon Copy Cloner run on the Mac works well for this, and can be set on a schedule.
The issue I am trying to solve is backing up the data once it get to the NAS. If a shared folder is 30 TB can you attach multiple drives and backup spanning the drives. Or can the NAS be made to see 5x8TB drives as one ~40TB volume to backup to?

If a shared folder is 30 TB can you attach multiple drives and backup spanning the drives.
No. A Hyper Backup task is assigned a target location and that can be a local shared folder or USB drive, or a remote NAS/other file service. As @Rusty said, you could use multiple HB tasks that each focus on select folders in you shared folder and these can then target different USB drives ... noting that there are limited USB ports but you can use a hub.
Or can the NAS be made to see 5x8TB drives as one ~40TB volume to backup to?
No (again). That sort of takes away Synology's business for selling you either a second j-series/standard NAS for backing up you main NAS or an expansion unit if you use a plus series NAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might consider a USB enclosure with hardware RAID such as TerraMaster or Oyen Digital (Mobius Pro 2C or Mobius 5-Bay RAID). TerraMaster and the Oyen 5-bay offer RAID0 (no redundancy) as well as RAID5 (one drive redundancy). This type of enclosure will be recognized as a single drive by both the Synology NAS and the Mac. However, backup of 30TB via USB will be very time consuming (likely a week or two). Which means that recovery time would be about the same.

Also note that Carbon Copy Cloner can provide one-way sync to a target drive that was initially populated by a simple copy operation or most any other means. So you could initially attach the USB RAID to Synology - copy from NAS to USB - then attach the USB to the Mac for ongoing CCC backups. I have recommended this strategy in a Mac-friendly environment where the volume of added/changed data between backups is relatively low. It worked reasonably well even with 1Gb Ethernet connections.

Hope this helps. Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.