Currently reading
Local folder & USB (single-version) second run as along as the first

NAS
DS415 play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a backup task set to backup about 5TB to an external usb drive (16tb) . Hyberbackup task is Local folder & USB (single-version) because the data doesn't need versions, just want some security in case too many drives fail.

The first run (manually started) of the backup took a couple days, and during the time the auto run of that task tried to start but couldn't because it was still running. But after the first run finished, it auto started and has now been backing up over a day again.

Will subsequent backups always take this long? Will they always be re transfer all files?

Will subsequent backups always take this long? Will they always be re transfer all files?
No. Subsequent running of the task will be incremental so as to keep the destination in step with the source.

I do this type of task so that there is quick access to data should I have a NAS issue. It's not all my data (excludes archives, backups, media) but is 440 GB at present and a nightly update to 16 minutes last night. There'll be a lot of static files in that.

The knowledgebase is a little opaque in the way it words what is updated on each run.
  • Local folder & USB (single-version): By selecting this destination, only one version of your data will be kept in the backup destination. When backing up new data, the new backup data will overwrite the earlier data. Please note that single version backup tasks cannot be compressed nor encrypted.

When i select Local folder & USB (single-version), first time it will backup all data (3,4TB) to 4TB USB nicely. Next time i start same task, my USB will run out of space.

So what im doing wrong here? I had to format USB and copy all data again.

Has a lot of data changed? It could be that the file deletions occur after the updates.
No, only few new images/videos/etc. Copy from laptop to NAS is made by Robocopy and modified timestamp stays as it is first time copied to NAS. Maybe next time i need to check littlebit more what its copying to USB on second run.

No, only few new images/videos/etc. Copy from laptop to NAS is made by Robocopy and modified timestamp stays as it is first time copied to NAS. Maybe next time i need to check littlebit more what its copying to USB on second run.
It's probably due to indexing, especially the first few times. After that even a couple of TB is usually < 10-min to an attached USB. The indexing, btw, is a cooperative arrangement between the NAS & USB drive so the mere fact of it being attached by USB is going to impact that speed, but again, only the first few times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.