Currently reading
Local Storage backup drive full, can't edit task to fix

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a USB drive attached to my Synology (DSM 7.1) running a backup to 'Local Storage 1'. The 8 TB drive has been filling up and now appear to be full. Hyper Backup says 'Suspended: Not enough space available on the target".

Fair enough, maybe if I change the Rotation or exclude a couple of large folders which are also backing up elsewhere I'll be OK. But when I bring up the Task Settings it just spends time 'loading' and next time I go and see if its done I'm logged out and have to start again.

Do I have options other than deleting and starting the backup from scratch? I don't mind that but no doubt next week I will need a document I deleted the week before...

OTOH that will save £300 on a new 16TB drive!

Solution
Thanks Guys, I'm sorted now. Somehow I was able to sneak in and edit the Task Settings -> Rotation. I've set Smart Recycle to 12 versions. It took about four days to clear out the older versions and drop the space used from 8TB to 4.5TB. So I'm sorted for a while and now need to read up about backup strategies for Hyper Backup.
Do I have options other than deleting and starting the backup from scratch?
Can you manually delete a specific version via Hyper Backup (not the most recent one, which is likely corrupted). This is slow and time-consuming... maybe 30 minutes each. Once enough are deleted, you should be able to dial down your retention numbers. Then, set a low capacity alert for this task... perhaps, 2-3 TB.

Upvote 0
Thanks Guys, I'm sorted now. Somehow I was able to sneak in and edit the Task Settings -> Rotation. I've set Smart Recycle to 12 versions. It took about four days to clear out the older versions and drop the space used from 8TB to 4.5TB. So I'm sorted for a while and now need to read up about backup strategies for Hyper Backup.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi DeltaGolf, can you explain how exactly you "snuck in" to those settings. I always have the same problem. Just gets stuck and I can never edit them. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.