Locate incomplete/unfinished downloads/torrents?

Currently reading
Locate incomplete/unfinished downloads/torrents?

NAS
DS418play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
If this is explained elsewhere or there's a discussion, please direct me to it.

Using the standard Download Station, am I able to access unfinished/incomplete downloads or torrents through Windows?
I went through the whole Telnet process and am pretty sure it doesn't work anymore. Trying to log in with "root" no longer accepts the admin password. If this is wrong, or there is another way, please let me know.
I love the simple Download Station so far, but really need to access these files for more convenience.

Help would be much appreciated, especially if it's already been covered or explained.
Thanks!

Trying to log in with "root" no longer accepts the admin password
Are you using sudo -i via ssh to get elevated to root?

Downloads still in progress on unfinished are on a different folder/location then the end downloads are. So while the download is uncomplete you can access it here /volume1/@download

Are you using sudo -i via ssh to get elevated to root?

I only just learned about using Telnet.
Can you tell me the process of using sudo to do this? (or direct me to where it's laid out step by step)

Then simply enter sudo -i and you will be prompted for a password. Enter the same DSM password for the account you have initially used to log in.

Oh, thank you! That was much simpler than I expected.
Kind of a hassle to have to do it, but it works!

If you want to make it easier for yourself, you could change Download Station's temporary location to an attached USB drive. Then, you can easily look at the files on the USB drive (in File Manager, even) to see what's there.

Thanks, but why is this easier than just having a temp folder on the NAS?
And wouldn't it just wear out the USB, writing all files to both drives?

It's easier because the temp folder on the NAS can't typically be found in File Station (which is what I had meant in the previous post, not "File Manager") on the NAS, but the folder on the USB drive can be. I don't think there'd be a real wear difference. If you write the downloading files to a temporary location on the NAS, it then moves or copies them to their final location on the NAS; so they're written to the NAS drives multiple times. In the USB case, the temp files are written to USB, and then moved or copied to the NAS drives...net it's the same, isn't it?

The temp file is accessible through Windows now that I've created a visible one.
I think you're right about the files being written to NAS twice though, which seems wasteful to me.

If I move the temp folder inside the "video" where all my largest downloads go, then they'll only be written to the drive once though; right?
Anything else, music, documents, will have to be moved, but they're much smaller files.

You may be right, but I don't believe they're rewritten. An mkv file will have the same full file name, except will be ".mkv.part" until it is completed, then ".part" is removed.

If I'm mistaken, and anyone knows for sure, please tell me, as I think it's simpler if the temp file is separate, but not if it's adding extra write wear on the drive.

Isn't it being rewritten CONSTANTLY as it's being downloaded, though? It's not just being appended to, because the portions come in random order. In any event, the wear from a few writes (or even a few million writes) seems pretty negligible.

My understanding of bitorrents was that it is appending, adding to, the files until they're complete. And a few files wouldn't make a difference, but I'd have thought many large files constantly over years would make a difference.

I could be wrong though. I don't know much, just assuming.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be appending. It downloads all the parts until the file is complete. It's digital. It doesn't matter what order they're added.

No, it's not adding to the end.
But if you think of it like a children's jigsaw puzzle, where you have a base and can see the outline of where every piece goes and just fit them in, that's what it's doing. This is the benefit of torrents. It can download every piece in any order they're available and slot them into the structure.
It doesn't rewrite the file with each addition, or at the end. You can see this when having downloaded a multi-gig file, the second it's complete it's available.

I agree 100% with your jigsaw puzzle analogy. Regardless, I just don't see the wear issue, disks are designed to to billions and billions of reads and writes, and it's typically the mechanisms involved in spinning the disks (which is constant whether or not you're reading/writing) that wear die first, rather than the actuator or read/write arm.

Okay. That's the part I don't know anything about.
My assumption was just more write, more use, closer to wearing out. I guess this would be the benefit of a sleep mode.
As I'm setting up a media centre, I haven't setup Plex yet, I think they say it is always spinning.

The Synology NAS has a disk sleep mode ("hibernation") in theory, but in practice they usually don't sleep a lot, since they wake up for it to check the time, if download station has any active tasks, if it's running other servers through CMS, if Plex is running, if it's indexing files, if any USB devices are connected, etc. etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back