Locked out of DS412+

NAS
DS412+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

Through a series of stupid/unlucky decisions on my part, I've managed to get locked out of my DS412+, and it looks like I'm going to lose all of the irreplacable personal data on the drives (incredibly important info).

I have a DS412+ running 6.2.4-25556 update 6, connected to my home network, however:
  1. I can't login to it directly via Synology Assistant etc (I know the username and password, however my account doesn't accept my 2FA code)
  2. Password reset on the 2FA screen doesn't work (it says it sends an email, but I've never received anything to any of my registered accounts)
    1. I suspect this is due to my setting up the NAS to send me emails using my gmail account - I had to change my password to gmail since I was last logged in (and can't change it back to the old one as it fails to meet complexity requirements
  3. My hard-wired reset button is broken off (the contact point is gone off the board) from being used too many times.
    1. I disassembled my NAS (as worked for this guy
      To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
      For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
      ) and shorting across the two reset PINS today - I got a single BEEP from the board when I did it and had hoped this meant my issue was fixed, however on re-assembly and testing now it doesn't accept default login details and is still asking for (and refusing) my 2FA

I can login to my synology.com account (and the device shows up there) but I can't figure out how to get myself out of this trap. Not even a matter of the price of replacing the NAS and drives, I just REALLY need access to the personal data (financial documents and the last remaining copies of some photos with now-passed family members). Does anyone have any tips?

Does anyone have any tips?
Do you have SSH enabled on the NAS? If you do, try this tip Synology quick tips!

It will help you disable the 2fa on your account. If that fails in the same tip you can see how to activate the "admin" account (if its disabled) and reset its password, so that you can try and log in as that user. Then you can fix your main account and continue forward.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
does your reset button look like this?
DA26FBA0-291B-4FBD-AFBA-54D607F6B652.jpeg

-- post merged: --

I am stripping parts from a dead 2600 router board. If it matches what you have, and you have the skills — or know of someone to solder it onto board. I’d give you one. Getting it there might be an issue, but parts offer is there, and one I removed is in excellent shape & fully operational!

BB38E278-023C-49E7-B667-987F5BFBE11D.jpeg

Upvote 0
Last edited:
and it looks like I'm going to lose all of the irreplacable personal data on the drives (incredibly important info).
For the sake of others, tell us why you didn't bother with backups.

If you can use Rusty's SSH link, that should solve the 2FA issue. If that offers no relief, there is a write-up in the Knowledge Center on mounting your drives with a PC and LiveCD to recover data.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Do you have SSH enabled on the NAS? If you do, try this tip Synology quick tips!

It will help you disable the 2fa on your account. If that fails in the same tip you can see how to activate the "admin" account (if its disabled) and reset its password, so that you can try and log in as that user. Then you can fix your main account and continue forward.
I've never fiddled with any of the settings on the NAS, just setup the Plex server and muddled my way through setting up shared drives etc. I think this may be above my skill set, though I'll go digging through and try it. Thank you :)

does your reset button look like this?View attachment 11631

I am stripping parts from a dead 2600 router board. If it matches what you have, and you have the skills — or know of someone to solder it onto board. I’d give you one. Getting it there might be an issue, but parts offer is there, and one I removed is in excellent shape & fully operational!

View attachment 11633
Hey man! Possibly, though that assembly looks too solid to have been the reset button for the drive (it's a tiny pinhole in the back of the case). I'm also in Australia, so logistically it's not workable - thank you for the suggestion though. Of note, the board did beep when I bridged the two reset contact points yesterday (after disassembling the entire box/unloading the hard drives etc) - despite that, the admin login wasn't reset and 2FA wasn't disabled - I'm guessing that once 2FA is enabled the reset functionality no longer works.

For the sake of others, tell us why you didn't bother with backups.

If you can use Rusty's SSH link, that should solve the 2FA issue. If that offers no relief, there is a write-up in the Knowledge Center on mounting your drives with a PC and LiveCD to recover data.
I'll 100% put my hand up for being an idiot on this one - I'm a bit of a luddite with tech stuff, and a tech friend helped me set this up in a raid array back in the day. I thought of the NAS AS my backup of files on my main computer, and I've simultaneously had the OS HD die in my main PC requiring me to reinstall Windows (meaning the shared network drive access I had into the NAS from before I lost admin access due to the 2FA thing is gone) and hadn't considered that I had no ability to set the shared access up again.

Two sets of data kept separate (NAS being the redundant factor), but PC HD dying & OS reinstall lost me access to the NAS - fault on my side.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.