logging in from outside

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I hope this is in the right forum!

Has anyone successfully used DDNS and has gotten it to work, "been able to get into DSM from outside." I've been working with Synology tech support for almost a month. Now, tech support had me set it up via the dsm support feature and giving them my log in and they said it worked. However when I try it I get the log in screen but after I hit sign in, it either comes back to it or goes to my routers reset screen. FWIW quick connect works.

Now when Synology did it, I did not have any ports forwarded in my router, but I've seen in numerous videos that you need to forward port 5000 and 5001 which I've tried with the same results. Am not even sure the router is forwarding them.

One more odd thing. My fiber internet has it's own weird router connector for the fiber optic cable. it, "fiber," comes from the wall into a white box then a cable comes from that into their router and from there to my routers WAN port vias cat 6.

I hope I didn't leave anything out!!!!

My reason for trying this is to share my NAS with friends/family.

So just to get things clear.

You have a fiber FTTH connection coming into you location and terminating in at a media converter. From there the cable is then (guessing ethernet) going to ISP router and then again from that router to your router's WAN port.

How is this configured in terms of these 2 routers? Do you have double NAT configured, DMZ on your ISP router or bridge mode?

Depending on the configuration, it will be needed to port forward ports on one or even 2 routers.

If you want remote access, you will have to have ports configured and forwarded and this might be the actual real problem that you are having atm. Why it works over quick connect is because that service works differently then accessing your NAS over a DDNS address.

Also, from a security standpoint if you are willing to expose your NAS try and change the default ports (5000/5001).

Upvote 0
I think I'm fighting a losing battle. Thee media converter is also a router, "see photo," from there it goes via cat cable to my nighthawk. They at first had it going to their modem/router which I removed as it wasn't needed except for a landline that I don't need. I believe it's the isp's router that's causing the issue as it's not accessible to me to put it in bridge mode!

Attachments

• rout.jpg
    rout.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Ok so media converter/ISP router is an all-in-one and with that yellow cable it is going to your router.

Still the point is how the 2 routers are configured. When you say that the ISP device is not accessible, does that mean you can't configure it in bridge mode, or you can't even log into it in order to configure it at all?

Upvote 0
No, there's no address or log in info on the label on the bottom. Also tried finding a reference to it online. Nothing. After I get back today am going to try my isp's tech support again to see if they can do it from there, I doubt it though.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back