User introduction Long time forum lurker who likes to read...but absolutely new to Synology!... Hi

Currently reading
User introduction Long time forum lurker who likes to read...but absolutely new to Synology!... Hi

Hi all. NAS home user here!

Previous NAS was a Zyxel NSA325 which was EOLed back in Jan 2014, it did the job for about 10 years but lately the noise was getting concerning even with regular cleaning (it was definitely in its death screams or at least its fan was lol!) but it was cheap as chips and the HDD I purchased actually cost more than the enclosure! The other problem being security, it was feeling its age and opening it to the internet would have been an incredibly bad idea considering the last security patch it received was from a third party dev about 3 or 4 years ago as I recall.

Inevitably it was time for a new solution, so I purchased a DS220+ and got to say "I am well impressed!". Only using one bay at this time with a single 4TB WD red plus loaded but thinking on a second one to bring it up to 8TB and I should be good (for now), also bumped the RAM with a 4GB stick. I don't require RAID, just seems overkill for a home user so JBOD is good enough with important pics/music sent to a side loaded drive as monthly backup, the rest can burn. This DS220+ is a huge step up from my previous NAS and I still have a lot to discover and learn, DSM is such a powerful OS but its applications are massive, love it like a kid with a new toy!

So I will be frequenting this forum quite often but as I said, I am a lurker and a reader so if the info is here, I WILL find it lol.
I call BS on forums dying out, they will always be here because communities are far too important for real time info!

Thanks for listening folks.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice NAS choice and with the plus version you can maybe start discovering Docker.

I call BS on forums dying out, they will always be here because communities are far too important for real time info!
🤘

Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice NAS choice and with the plus version you can maybe start discovering Docker.
Docker was one of the first things I did, iPerf server for LAN speed testing and BubbleUPNP for music on the fly. Might have a play around with home assistant also.
Welcome to the forum. Lurk away! Just don’t t be surprised when we repeat ourselves 🤪

The plus series gives a good nudge to storage-only scenarios. You might find other jobs it can do that you’d use a PC or Mac.
Well Plex is up and running, my old Zyxel NAS lost its server capabilities a few year back due to its age causing incompatibility so I was using a lappy as a stand in server, nice to get that function back.

Welcome! Yes, all the best answers are found in forums--it's what brought me here earlier when I was looking for an answer for DSM6 on my DS213J--found it in 2 minutes and had to register. (y)

What you plan to do with the Zyxel?

What you plan to do with the Zyxel?
Not sure yet, I was toying with the idea of using it as a part time backup solution maybe set to power on nightly once a month, run the backup and then power down but then I would need to purchase/shuck drives and I suppose I could try upgrading the fan to see if it improves the noise and vibration but is it worth it. Its age is its problem, the kernel is totally outdated and the packages just aren't updated anymore (EOS was 2015), I would be surprised if there are any still being used in the wild! I have had my moneys worth out of it + interest, spending any more money on it would be an insult lol.

However, I did totally disassemble it for full cleaning after I got my DS220+, it just felt like I was preparing it for departure in a morgue 😆.

Not sure yet, I was toying with the idea of using it as a part time backup solution maybe set to power on nightly once a month, run the backup and then power down but then I would need to purchase/shuck drives and I suppose I could try upgrading the fan to see if it improves the noise and vibration but is it worth it. Its age is its problem, the kernel is totally outdated and the packages just aren't updated anymore (EOS was 2015), I would be surprised if there are any still being used in the wild! I have had my moneys worth out of it + interest, spending any more money on it would be an insult lol.

However, I did totally disassemble it for full cleaning after I got my DS220+, it just felt like I was preparing it for departure in a morgue 😆.
Devices like this are actually ideally suited to just 'plain jane' nas duties and work surprisingly well at it if they're blocked off from the Internet and any type of updates that will slow them down. At some point you'll probably upgrade the drives in your DS220+, and this would be a great place for them to go.

Otherwise, if you are thinking of trashing it, I could give it a home as I seem to collect older nas units like some people collect cats. 😁 I have a UPS account so I could even send you a prepaid label for it. :)

Devices like this are actually ideally suited to just 'plain jane' nas duties and work surprisingly well at it if they're blocked off from the Internet and any type of updates that will slow them down. At some point you'll probably upgrade the drives in your DS220+, and this would be a great place for them to go.

Otherwise, if you are thinking of trashing it, I could give it a home as I seem to collect older nas units like some people collect cats. 😁 I have a UPS account so I could even send you a prepaid label for it. :)
Well if I don't do anything with it in the next few months I will drop you a PM...but I will say that I am in the UK and it may not be cost effective for yourself being from the US if I have read your profile correctly;).

Well if I don't do anything with it in the next few months I will drop you a PM...but I will say that I am in the UK and it may not be cost effective for yourself being from the US if I have read your profile correctly;).
Ah gotcha. Well, I do have relatives on the other side of the pond so maybe something might work out if the pandemic ends. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.