Looking for general advice on new home network setup

Currently reading
Looking for general advice on new home network setup

I find myself moving to a new home, and I'm reviewing my current network so I can hopefully improve it, but I have no clear path on how to get where I want, and in no small part because I'm new to this stuff.

Where I come from:
  • "Home user" setup with ISP router and consumer grade "plug and play" mesh wireless (wifi5)
  • Some very light networking setup with port forwarding and static route for VPN and firewall configuration on NAS and VPN server (RPi)
Where I think I'd like to get:
  • 1GB wired network for nas and office pcs
  • VLANs for home office and kid's devices, they need to be separate from the rest and from each other
  • Wifi6 mesh with several ssids for different vlans
  • No cloud dependance
Considerations/constraints:
  • I have some networking knowledge, but no previous experience in advanced networking setups (VLANs etc) or equipment
  • Small-ish 1 floor appartment, no suitable location for a rack
  • Spouse has recently gone to fully remote job, service in the home office is top priority
  • As kid ages he'll start having his own devices that need to be quarantined
  • Contained budget (around 500€)
  • Equipment and as silent as possible
I like SRM 1.3 and I think it would fill my needs in general... but synology seems to release very good/polished router products but with very deliberate (glacial) cadence, and only wireless routers; no APs, no wired routers, no switches...

I dislike the RT6600ax design, and so does my wife. Same goes for the RT2600AC. I know this may seem a stupid position for some people, but it is important for us. We don't dislike de MR2200AC but being wifi5 it does not seem the like the best choice for a new setup.

As for unifi, I've been looking into them and I'm "sold" on the APs and switches but don't know about the routers. The only router they offer in my area at the tier I need is the Dream Router, which is nice at first glance but also, maybe, underpowered? Also, I understand they have been making movements towards linking their products more and more with "the cloud"?

I've also looked into tp-link omada stuff which is very similar to unifi (the word "copycat" comes to my mind), and I have similar impressions to unifi in general. My current mesh wifi setup is from them and works fine, but I don't know about their higher tier business oriented products.

Options that I'm actually considering:
  • 2 unifi (or omada?) APs, a small managed switch (5-8 ports), and a MR2200AC
  • 1 unifi AP and dream router
  • 2 MR2200ACs and a small managed switch
  • Install the current setup and keep on with my life. Maybe synology will release a replacement for the MR2200AC in the "near" future? Maybe not? Maybe we find out we don't need a more advanced setup?

Any advice? This feels like it should be a very simple setup, I'm I overthinking this?

only wireless routers; no APs, no wired routers
All their routers can be APs, and can work both in wifi and wired scenario

I dislike the RT6600ax design, and so does my wife. Same goes for the RT2600AC. I know this may seem a stupid position for some people, but it is important for us. We don't dislike de MR2200AC but being wifi5 it does not seem the like the best choice for a new setup.
I hear you on this, but it is what it is. While 6600 can be wall mounted flat (as opposed to any other router in the lineup), it is a large piece with long antennas but that's for better coverage and stronger signal

As for unifi, I've been looking into them and I'm "sold" on the APs and switches but don't know about the routers. The only router they offer in my area at the tier I need is the Dream Router, which is nice at first glance but also, maybe, underpowered? Also, I understand they have been making movements towards linking their products more and more with "the cloud"?
Personally I have a 16port 10G switch from Unifi and it works well, nothing special, gets the job done. Can't speak for the routers as I never owned one.

2 MR2200ACs and a small managed switch
Depending on the size of the space you intend to cover this will work well. I own 2600+2200 combo, and it covers 150m2 without any issues.

replacement for the MR2200AC in the "near" future? Maybe not?
If you are not in any hurry, there will be a new router/ap coming out that will be to RT6600ax what 2200 was to 2600 router.

Atm the moment 2200 will be depricated and the 6600 + the new router will be a new wifi 6 mesh combo, while 2600 will be a standalone model.

The new "smaller" router will be out mid November (as it stands currently). It will share a similar "stand" design as the 2200 but beyond that I can't share any more info on the matter until a later date.

Thanks @Rusty ,
All their routers can be APs
Oh I know of course, but using only integrated products to build a network doesn't seem very efficient.

Depending on the size of the space you intend to cover this will work well. I own 2600+2200 combo, and it covers 150m2 without any issues.
Good to know! our new apartment is slightly smaller than that.

If you are not in any hurry, there will be a new router/ap coming out that will be to RT6600ax what 2200 was to 2600 router.
The new "smaller" router will be out mid November (as it stands currently).
Glad to hear that, I'm not in a hurry but won't hold my breath either. Even if they release it in November, actual availability to purchase may not be immediate... I don't have a fire under my feet right now however, I'll wait and see for a little longer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.