Looking for suggestions for Synology router

Currently reading
Looking for suggestions for Synology router

I would like to replace a pair of Gryphon (original AC tower) routers with Synology. The house isn't that large (1800 sf), but due to a sort of L-shape and some obstructions, I can't get good high-speed WiFI coverage to one of the rooms with a single router. I also can't use a wired backhaul as there is no easy way to run an ethernet cable. I don't need WiFi 6 but it's a plus.

I would use a pair of rt6600ax, but have read some people say 5G WiFi coverage is inferior. Is this true? HAs it been resolved?

I wouldn't use a pair of rt2600ac because it's only dual-band and I will be using wireless backhaul.

So what I would like is tri-band routers due to the need for wireless backhaul. I believe a pair of the MR2200ac routers would work, or the rt6600ax if the wireless range problem has been resolved. I know the rt6600ax is WiFi 6 and theorectically should be faster. Due to the low cost of the MR2200ac I could even use 3 of the MR2200ac routers to reduce connections to the router serving the "problem room", and get better coverage to boot.

Any suggestions? Has anyone run 3 of the MR2200ac in a mesh configuration? How about 2 of the rt6600ax?

The RT2600ac is dual band but, from memory, it is 1733 Mbps 5 GHz and 800 Mbps 2.4 GHz. Whereas the MR2200ac is two 867 Mbps 5 GHz and a 400 Mbps 2.4 GHz. So when meshing a RT2600ac with MR2200ac (back in SRM 1.2 days), the MR2200ac would be using one of its 5 GHz as the back haul, the one it shared the channel with the RT2600ac.

Converting 1,800 sq. ft would be around 170 sq. m, so rectangular it would be 10 x 17 m. Need to visualise it :)

If you are certain you'll never need 802.11ax (WiFi 6) then the older RT2600ac might be worth it. They are falling in price, due to being the oldest released (just checked and the Amazon ££ has rebounded a bit). But if you think you are going to get new phones, Macs, PCs, etc then they will likely have AX WiFi and you'll be linking them together with older/slower WiFi. It may be a false economy.

Personally I would use AX capable routers in a mesh, or AC capable, but when mixing AX and AC then you'll never know which router your AX devices will connect to and it may end up being the slower AC.

If this is also going to be your main Internet router/firewall then the only Synology router that doesn't support Threat Prevention is the MR2200ac: TP works in addition to your static firewall policy and checks permitted connections against signatures of suspicious and malicious behaviour (for free and I think useful vs not having it).

So that would mean having one of RT6600ax, WRX560, or RT2600ac as the primary router/firewall.

I went from RT2600ac meshed with MR2200ac then replaced with RT6600ax and WRX560. I find that the signal is better now on the newer routers. I do back haul using the 2.5 GbE ports, via multi-gig switch, but that won't interfere with the signal. The cost of WRX560 hasn't been discounted much so if you see the RT6600ax anywhere near the same price, and are ok with it's size as the mesh AP, then two RT6600ax would probably be what I would try. Though getting one first and trying it out, doing walk tests from around the house to see where the signal degrades most. Also trying to have line of sight.

Ultimately, the shape of your living area, building materials, and obstructions will influence then wireless signals. But just remember you have to place the routers close enough together so that the back haul retains the strength to transfer data... if a client device has difficulty maintaining a usable connection from a location then so will a mesh router.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply fredbert. I think the MR2200ac is out as a primary due to not being able to use TP.
I might try the RT6600ax solo first to see how it does, then add the WRX560 or another RT6600ax if I need it. The WRX560 gives me a little pause due to being only dual band, though it does support 5.9GHz so who knows how well it might actually work if have devices that can support it.
-- post merged: --

If I used the RT6600ax with the MR2200ac would the Threat Protection be running on the primary RT6600ax?

I balked at the price of the WRX560 after getting the RT6600ax, after forgetting I'd used £35 of free vouchers on an already good priced 6600. At present the 2400 Mbps 5 GHz band on the WRX560 works well here and I'm happy with the setup, it also sits well where I need it. The RT6600ax has 4800 and 1200 Mbps 5 GHz bands: difficult to say which band clients will connect. Whatever the mesh device they aren't cheap, so it's a matter of taking a breath and doing it.

If I used the RT6600ax with the MR2200ac would the Threat Protection be running on the primary RT6600ax?
Yes. There's only one main router that's doing firewall, TP, VPN Plus Server, Safe Access, WiFi Connect (mesh mgmt.), etc. The other routers are in mesh access point mode and used to spread and control the wireless signals. The LAN ports can be used on the mesh routers but devices will be on the primary VLAN/network unless the client device's network interface is tagged to be on another VLAN.

I balked at the price of the WRX560 after getting the RT6600ax, after forgetting I'd used £35 of free vouchers on an already good priced 6600. At present the 2400 Mbps 5 GHz band on the WRX560 works well here and I'm happy with the setup, it also sits well where I need it. The RT6600ax has 4800 and 1200 Mbps 5 GHz bands: difficult to say which band clients will connect. Whatever the mesh device they aren't cheap, so it's a matter of taking a breath and doing it.

Yes. There's only one main router that's doing firewall, TP, VPN Plus Server, Safe Access, WiFi Connect (mesh mgmt.), etc. The other routers are in mesh access point mode and used to spread and control the wireless signals. The LAN ports can be used on the mesh routers but devices will be on the primary VLAN/network unless the client device's network interface is tagged to be on another VLAN.
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I'm back to this upgrade project after a 2 month pause. I believe the MR2200ac now supports Threat Protection if you plug in a USB memory stick. I have seen a couple of references to this. So, using two of the MR2200ac would probably work but I am a little hesitant because although they are tri-band, they are not as fast as the RT6600ax. I plan to run both Safe Access and Thread Protection, so more speed is better.

So, I think I'm back to my earlier plan to try the RT6600ax solo first to see how it does alone, then add the WRX560 or another RT6600ax if I need it. With the price difference in the US of only about $80, I'd probably lean towards the RT6600ax for the mesh (if I need it).

Wait, one thing I didn't consider is using a pair of the WRX560. ???

I would suggest getting a single RT6600AX first, then using WifiMan (Google playstore, it’s an app by UniFi and is excellent at mapping your WiFi signal using the Floorplan tab). Once you have done this, see how strong and stable the signal is, if you then need a further WiFi AP, then you can decide what devices need it and whether they need an AX or AC connection, and backhaul wise, if you can’t use Ethernet, is MOCA an option? I have used 2.5Gb MOCA adapters and they worked well with a stable 2.5Gb connection and real world data transfer speeds of 223 MBps.

Thanks for the reply. We don't have any Ethernet wiring in the house and it would be expensive to run since we don't have an attic. We only have coax in two rooms.

We have a Gryphon AC tower roughly in the middle of the house which works well accept for one "problem room" separated by several walls and some HVAC equipment. In that room we put a second Gryphon AC tower and run a short ethernet cable from that to the computer. That seems to work just OK, but I am tiring of the buggy Gryphon firmware and app (phone only) which seems to get devices and schedules mixed up. I rely on the Gryphon Parental Controls because I have two teenage boys who do about half of their school work at home so I need to keep them on track! I believe that Synology Safe Access would work nicely for that. I've tried other Parental control "solutions" but haven't found one that works well and I actually like.

Also, our two main computers have WiFi6 so that's a consideration. And, if I had a wall-mountable second WiFi AP like the RT2600ac or RT6600ax there is a location in the "problem room" that would provide a better WiFi signal path (less walls to go through) to the main router. Now that I think of this a bit, a pair of RT2600ac routers might even work, and they're cheap these days.

I'm going to try WifiMan, that sounds awesome.

EDIT to add:
---Options---
RT2600ac + RT2600ac
RT6600ax (solo)
RT6600ax + RT2600ac
RT6600ax + RT6600ax

If you cant use Ethernet or Coax, how about trying Powerline adapters, I have heard good things about the newer ones with G.Hn , I havent tested them, but Amazon have a great returns policy :)
As it's a single "problem room" you probably do not need outstanding speeds, just good enough. So it could be worth trying.
On testing the 5GHz performance on the RT6600AX, its much the same as every other router. (Due to legislation on wireless power, so many people with Wifi Networks nearby and the way 5GHz struggles to get through solid walls, most routers are the same Some people also get confused that the higher numbered 5GHz channels are allowed to use transmit more power. (DFS permitting).

Thanks, I give the powerlibe adapters a look. I haven't had much success with those in the past, but that was many years ago and things have changed.

I think the basic problem is that we need to get the 5GHz into that room for good speed, and if I use a single WiFi router we have too many walls in between. With a mesh I can get line-of-sight both between mesh devices and between a mesh device and the problem-room computer. I'm doing that now with two of the Gryphon AC towers but want to move away from Gryphon hardware.

What kind of speeds do you need in the problem room? if its normal internet stuff 2.4Ghz should be enough, if its for Local LAN stuff, moving lots of data then 5GHz is probably best.
The issue for me with wifi (and Powerline) is that itsa Half duplex system and using wireless backhaul makes this even worse, whenever I have tried it, I have soon run ethernet, bought MOCA or uses powerline. (At least it tends to be stable).
Good luck in whatever you decide. Keep us informed

I believe the MR2200ac now supports Threat Protection if you plug in a USB memory stick. I have seen a couple of references to this.
I spotted this when you posted it but wasn’t sure it was right. I haven’t seen any mention of TP support now being added to the MR2200ac.

I’ve finally dug out my MR2200ac to use it temporarily as a primary gateway to my outgoing ISP connection, until I cancel it next week. Anyway, I couldn’t find any TP install option, which is what I expected. And there’s no installer on the Synology Archive site.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.