Lost Passphrase

Currently reading
Lost Passphrase

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Hi All,

I am new here at this forum and am really hoping that someone can give me some advice as I have lost my passphrase to my NAS. Here is the situation:

I have a Synology DS918+. I accidentally unplugged the NAS and when I plugged it back in, it booted up fine, but I can no longer get to my shared drives.

I can get to the system via a web browser and am able to login as admin. The system is fine, however, the shares did not automatically mount as that option was not selected when the system was installed.

When I go to Control Panel Shared Folder Action key manager it asks for a passphrase which I have forgotten. I wanted it to be secure, so I must have picked something obscure which I eventually forgot.

When I go to Control Panel Shared FolderEncryption the only option I get is “mount” which then asks for the encryption key or to import one.

During set up of the NAS, as far as I am aware keys were generated and exported to a USB fob which is plugged into the NAS. The USB has the following folders and files on it although ther does not seem to be any .key files:

Folder @eaDir which has folder @tmp which is empty

Folder @keystore has a .cfg file and a folder with the same name as the .cfg file. The contents of the .cfg are:

{"eject_after_boot":false,"passphrase":"$6$GyTGQ4VfGw7zdDR$MMpm92DyLXJD/ekOLy808WpO8zE7NgOUqPNiKNYD4cLLewvuKCXzjF/UKfJx.nx3QBxXOF.Ggiw/8HBiabGDe.","share_list":{"47755716-177d-4f56-b658-6e877ed4a92e":{"auto_mount":false,"description":"","encrypt_type":0},"78a82960-5ece-4efc-9187-a81b808ad33a":{"auto_mount":false,"description":"","encrypt_type":0},"a4bc6166-1ade-40d8-827a-55671eeacb46":{"auto_mount":false,"description":"","encrypt_type":0},"a9e45aa0-566b-459d-bf62-3ed75c6abee5":{"auto_mount":false,"description":"Hari Folders","encrypt_type":0},"aea2a919-4c5f-4067-9436-7d46d02c98aa":{"auto_mount":false,"description":"LH2 Europe","encrypt_type":0}},"version":1}

In the folder there are 5 files:

78a82960-5ece-4efc-9187-a81b808ad33a

47755716-177d-4f56-b658-6e877ed4a92e

a4bc6166-1ade-40d8-827a-55671eeacb46

a9e45aa0-566b-459d-bf62-3ed75c6abee5

aea2a919-4c5f-4067-9436-7d46d02c98aa

Folder @tmp which is empty

I cannot find any .key files on the NAS or on my local machine.

I have edited the .cfg file that was on the USB and change all the auto_mounts to true from false. I then rebooted the system, but that did not result in any change.

In reading the following article : how to decrypt ecryptfs file with private key instead of passphrase

It seems to suggest that using particular command:

printf "%s" "\$1\$5YN01o9y" | ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase keyfile.key could reveal the passphrase.

However, as I mentioned, for some reason, there are no .key files on the USB or on my local system.

I did contact support but they could not help, but suggested that if I could try to SSH into the system (which I have not yet tried).

So my question is, is it possible for me to SSH into the system and change the config as admin to auto mount the share drives without knowing the passphrase? Or is it possible to do so knowing that the .cfg file on the USB does indeed have the Passphrase albeit encrypted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I think I have aged 40 years in the last couple of days!

Thanks

I hope not (no offense) as that would be a huge security hole. I see no path forward other than to restore from backup.
No offense taken at all. I am just a desperate man right now so looking at any way I can get back in to my files.

I wouldn't bet on anything too much. Design is that you can have a .key or passphrase recovery/mount. If you don't know any of those, I'm afraid you are locked.
Thanks. That is what I am resigning myself to. I just figured I would try and see if there is anyway to get in that may not be the most conventional way. I just cannot understand how the .key files went missing, but that is my issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.