Low performance on DS920+

Currently reading
Low performance on DS920+

NAS
DS920+
Hi everyone !

I'm a web developer and I want to use my Synology NAS for testing.

My configuration: DS920+ / DSM 7.1.1 / 4x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (ST6000VN001) / RAID 5 Btrfs

I installed Docker but when I run a database container (MySQL8) the initialization takes almost 8 minutes (against 30 seconds on my Macbook M1) !!
Meanwhile, DSM Resource Monitor shows the write speed to the volume is 4-5MB/sec (the docker container creates a 200MB data folder with small files).

I first thought of a Docker performance issue with DSM and decided to install a Linux VM with Virtual Machine Manager. But it was again extremely slow (write speed to the volume 4-6MB/s no more) => almost one hour for minimal installation.

I finally realize that write speeds on my DS920+ are as follows:
  • Up to 130 MB/s for a single large file (which seems normal)
  • 5-10 MB/s for a directory with many small files

I know that writing small files reduces speed but these are very low, heavily impacting Docker and VMM performance and making them pretty much unusable (the slightest install of a program is terribly slow).

What do you think of these write speeds ? Is this normal with my setup ?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

This seems way too long for that type of NAS. SQL8 for me runs almost half a dozen platforms and apps with no issues at all, let alone an initialization that lasts that long. RAID5 with those drives should be more than fine.

You are running the official SQL8 container correct?

In addition to the Rusty remarks:
Is your RAM amount sufficient? Docker works much bettter with more memory. You can check in the resource manager which resource is bottlenecking the performance.
If small file performance is essential, I would recommend to use SSD because of their low latency.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

This seems way too long for that type of NAS. SQL8 for me runs almost half a dozen platforms and apps with no issues at all, let alone an initialization that lasts that long. RAID5 with those drives should be more than fine.

You are running the official SQL8 container correct?
Yes I am using the official mysql8 image from the docker hub and I simply try to run the container.
I agree, performance should be a bit better in my case.

In addition to the Rusty remarks:
Is your RAM amount sufficient? Docker works much bettter with more memory. You can check in the resource manager which resource is bottlenecking the performance.
If small file performance is essential, I would recommend to use SSD because of their low latency.
Of course using an SSD will be much faster and the speeds are not comparable.
I'm just surprised (and very disappointed) by such terrible performance on my HDD RAID5 storage.

I have the default configuration with 4 GB of RAM but in my specific case I don't think it's a problem because my DS920+ is not used by other applications and all the resources are fully available.

For example before running docker : CPU load is 0% and RAM is 10% used. During the container initialization, the CPU load is 4% and the RAM usage is 15% (so no indication here of a lack of resources).

Even without an SSD, I think it's crazy that my fully available DS920+ takes nearly 8 minutes to launch a single container.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.