M.2 NVMe Support for DS3617xs - Volumes on M2D18 - Still Coming?

Currently reading
M.2 NVMe Support for DS3617xs - Volumes on M2D18 - Still Coming?

D

Deleted member 673

Has anyone heard when we might expect M.2 NVMe support for the DS3617xs and other '17' models? Currently, only M.2 SATA is supported.

Also curious to know if Synology plans to allow creation of volumes (vs. caches) on M2D18 adapters in a future DSM release.

Thanks for any comments. Ron

I sent a feature request to Synology about being able to create volumnes on NVMe-devices (found currently as cache on my DS918+), but they stated that they have no plans to do so:
"We do not consider support this feature, because NVMe SSD is very hot, especially in sequential use, so it is easy to shut down due to overheating."
:(

Also from Synology Support, clarification regarding future NVMe support on the DS3617xs:

Please note that the limitation isn't necessarily hardware-related. The limitation is due to the Linux kernel version, which only a handful of units are using a version with NVMe support. Unfortunately there are no known plans at this time for NVMe support on the units currently lacking it, or any information on when the kernel may be updated.

Has anyone heard when we might expect M.2 NVMe support for the DS3617xs and other '17' models? Currently, only M.2 SATA is supported.

Also curious to know if Synology plans to allow creation of volumes (vs. caches) on M2D18 adapters in a future DSM release.

Thanks for any comments. Ron
Here recently reply from Synology:

According to current information, Broadwell CPU models, including the DS3617xs, will also support NVME with the update to DSM7.0. This means that M2.2 NVME can also be used via the M2D18 adapter.

To clarify in light of NAS Compares recent posting about a DS3617xs II, will the current DS3617xs support NVMe in DSM7? Will existing DS3617xs then be upgradeable to a "II" level. Or will purchase of a new "II" level NAS be required? Maybe too soon to know; but thanks for any further insights...

Ron

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.