M2 NVME Storage Pool Drives

NAS
DS1522+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I just picked up a DS1522+ and filled it up with 4x12TB WD Reds and two NVME drives. The smaller drive (256GB) is installed as a cache drive, which seems to be working well. I was planning on using the other one, a 2TB WD Green drive, as an additional storage pool for my Plex files (I don't have a ton of videos). As you likely know I couldn't make a pool with it as it's not an approved drive! Am I reading the description right on the Synology website that only their m2 NVME drives can be made into storage pools? Is there any workarounds? From everything I've read, the 2TB would be a waste as a cache drive. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Think there is, but it involves some rather complex non-standard settings…..

Spoken by a guy who added non-supported drives, SSD’s, RAM, and unsupported eSATA enclosures on multiple different NAS’s, but have not done that! (Have M2 NVME’s, but using as Cache).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Check this script...
The only reliable solution I am aware about.
I use it without issues to suspend my 3rd party memory modules warnings and create pools on 'unsupported' NVMEs.

Definitely unofficial and unsupported though, use at your own risk.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.